Carry the Torch and Plant the Flag
Posted By:Wes Mewbourne Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
Like the subtitle says, the team to win the ACC this year is going to have to carry the torch and plant the flag. From Week 1, the ACC has taken a beating, but a few teams are in a position to restore the public trust in the once powerful conference. After careful consideration, very few teams actually have the ability to do just that, but here are those with the best chance…
1. Wake Forest: A 3-0 start has given the Deacs hope for another BCS birth. With a third straight victory over the division rival Seminoles, and the meat of the conference schedule still ahead, it’ll be an interesting ride. If they finish undefeated, how many other schools can say they beat two teams from the SEC?
2. Clemson: A huge loss to start the season ended Clemson’s hope for a BCS title, but the good news is it wasn’t a conference game. Three blowouts later, confidence is restored in the men of orange and they are ready to tackle the ACC. The Oct. 9 victory at Wake Forest would allow the Tigers to snag the torch and carry it themselves.
3. Virginia Tech: Back to back division wins has the Hokies ready to shake up the ACC and avenge the early loss to ECU. With Tyrod Taylor not putting on the red shirt, there could be a new wrinkle in their opponents’ defenseive schemes. Look for the Hokies to climb their way back into the polls and help raise the ratings of this year’s ACC Championship game.
4. Georgia Tech: A tough division loss has derailed the Yellow Jackets goal of an ACC championship, but there’s lots of football left to play. The rest of the games are very winnable, but they are not in control of their own destiny, thus have to hope for another Hokie meltdown. Look for them to continue to improve the defense while the offense goes nuts.
5. Miami: A good showing for three quarters against one of the best teams in the country has to be a good sign for the Hurricanes. A comfortable road win adds to that sentiment. This young team will continue to mature and give teams a fight for awhile. If they can learn to finish, they might make it to Tampa before going bowlin’.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response
- Kevin Cosgrove named New Mexico acting coach during Bob Davie's suspension
- John Engler praises Mark Dantonio as 'honorable' as contract extended
- Ohio State raises pay for college football assistants to more than $7 million
- Michigan football reportedly expected to hire Jim McElwain