ACC-SEC Top 10, Week 14
Posted By:Wes Mewbourne Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
And we're headed down the stretch of the season. The ACC and SEC Championship games have been set. Also, after a weekend of 4 head to head match ups, all four winners appear on the list. It's been a wild and crazy year in both conferences, with surprises and disappointments alike. The "little brother" ACC certainly stole the show this week from their southeastern brethren. Here's how they stack up...
1. Alabama - Still undefeated, still #1 in the nation, still the SEC West leader. Now, after a 36-0 pounding of rival Auburn, they are #1 in their home state. Kind of a backwards way of reaching the top if you ask me, but far be it this guy to doubt The Saban. Next up, their toughest test yet...
2. Florida - The Gators are one of the hottest teams in the country, and after a 45-15 win over the Seminoles they show no signs of cooling off . Even having running back/receiver Percy Harvin on the bench, the offense exploded for 31 more points. Florida can get into the BCS national championship game with a win over the Tide, but unlike the rest of their schedule, it won't be easy.
3. Boston College - The Eagles closed the season out with four consecutive victories including one over division rival Florida State, propelling them into their second consecutive ACC Championship game appearance against the Hokies of Virginia Tech. Just like last year, the Eagles topped the Hokies in the regular season. They hope to avenge last year's loss in Jacksonville and get their first trip to the Orange Bowl since joining the ACC.
4. Ole Miss - The surprise team of the SEC if not for the Tide. The Rebels are looking at their first winning season since a Manning was throwing balls around back in 2003. Interestingly enough, it was also the last time they beat two ranked teams away from home...including Florida in "The Swamp"
5. Va Tech - Another team not unfamiliar with an ACC title. The Hokies won it last year, getting revenge on Matt Ryan and the Eagles for beating them earlier in the season. They are hoping for a similar result this year, and with Coach Beamer on the sidelines anything's possible.
6. Ga Tech - The Jackets are riding high on their shootout win over the Bulldogs - their first in 7 years, by the way. And to do it with a first year coach who came in with a wheelbarrow full of doubts proves he not only can win in the ACC, he can also turn the tide on that Good Old Fashioned Hate.
7. Georgia - A disappointing season came to an even more disappointed ending when the preseason #1 Bulldogs went into the half dominating, then ended the game wondering what went wrong. Still, though, this is a strong unit, losing only to the AP #1, 2, and 15 teams. Look for some off-season changes on the defense, however. In nine wins, no team they played reached 40 points. In 3 losses, all three topped that mark.
8. Wake Forest - A solid team from a solid performance. Sure maybe they underperformed a bit this year, but rebounding after two straight ACC losses to beat an SEC team - even though it was Vanderbilt - helped their conference establish themeselves. That's gotta count for something, right?
9. Clemson - Another team that underperformed early, but turned it around. The Tigers finished the season winning 4 of their last 5 games with an interim coach and no offensive coordinator. The last victory was the sweetest, too, pummeling rival South Carolina 31-14 helping the ACC gain some cred with it's SEC big brother, and helped Dabo Swinney get that "interim" tag removed.
10. FSU - Aside from a humbling defeat of rival Florida, the Seminoles have had a pretty consistent year. Their three conference losses all came by 10 points or less. You can't really blame the 'Noles for becoming the latest in a string of Gator massacres, can you?
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has his staff, but can he fix offense's efficiency?
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response
- Kevin Cosgrove named New Mexico acting coach during Bob Davie's suspension
- John Engler praises Mark Dantonio as 'honorable' as contract extended
- Ohio State raises pay for college football assistants to more than $7 million