ACC-SEC Top 10, Regular Season Final
Posted By:Wes Mewbourne Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
The regular season has officially ended, and the bowl games are set. This is the penultimate list of the best teams in the two conferences. You’ll notice that half, that’s right half, of the teams on the list are playing in the postseason in their home state. Two in their home city! It’s gonna be an interesting bowl season, with some intriguing match ups. Without further ado, your ACC/SEC Top 10.
1. Florida – A huge defeat on an even larger stage propels Florida to the top spot in the final Top 10 poll of the season as well as the National Championship Game. Expect the Gators to bring the crystal football home for the second time in two years.
2. Alabama – The Tide need not hold their head down. After a dreamlike season, a 7-6 team a year ago was one win away from the biggest stage in college football. With a birth in the Sugar Bowl as a consolation prize, one might expect the SEC to go 2-0 in the BCS this season.
3. Virginia Tech – A second straight ACC Title Game win over Boston College sends the Hokes to Miami for the Orange Bowl – this time against Big East champ Cincinnati. Last year’s humbling loss to Kansas is still on their minds, and they hope to avoid the upset to the Bearcats, and bring some credibility back to the ACC.
4. Ole Miss – The Rebels will be off to the Cotton bowl in a shootout with Texas Tech. The Rebels haven’t been to a bowl game since ’03 when they defeated Oklahoma State in…the Cotton Bowl.
5. Georgia Tech – The future looks much brighter for the Yellow Jackets than when the season began. After being one score away from playing for the conference title, and beating in-state rival Georgia, Paul Johnson’s first season will take them to a bowl game all the way in…Atlanta. That’s right, the Jackets will play essentially a home game against the LSU Tigers in their hometown Georgia Dome. Could life be better for Paul Johnson right now?
6. Georgia – A disappointing finish for a team ranked preseason #1 and the favorite to go to Miami next month. Nevertheless, the Capital One Bowl will play host to the Bulldogs, and they have a good chance to end on a bright note. They’re an SEC team playing a Big 10 team.
7. Florida State – Yet another close, but no cigar season for the Bobby Bowden and the Seminoles. Life is not all bad in Tallahassee, though. A birth in the Champs Sports Bowl provides a much needed opportunity to give the younger guys (QB Christian Ponder and RB Jermaine Thomas) some experience going into next season.
8. Clemson – Things are looking better for the Tigers now. After a disappointing start and the firing of their head coach and offensive coordinator, Clemson finished their season winning 4 of their last 5, including topping the Ole Ball Coach for the second straight year
9. North Carolina – After a 5-1 start, the Tarheels split their final seven games to fall to 8-4 overall. Not all is lost, though, as they were able to land a quality opponent in the post season. West Virginia won’t be a walk in the park, but playing in Charlotte certainly helps, and a victory would go a long way into Butch Davis’s third season.
10. Vanderbilt – How can you not show love to a team that’s been in the cellar literally all my life? It’s been 26 years since the Commodores went to the postseason – the longest streak in the NCAA. That streak is no more as they travel all the way to…Nashville. Hey, if they’re going to play a team with the longest current bowl winning streak (Boston College – 9), they might as well play them at home, right?
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
- New Season, New Management
- Congrats, Hessian!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Week 12 games with the most impact on the College Football Playoff
- Bold predictions for Week 12 in college football
- The biggest games for teams fighting for college football bowl eligibility
- Nick Saban says every SEC stadium is difficult for Alabama ... except Vanderbilt
- Wisconsin trying to block out College Football Playoff debate