50-1 shot Mine That Bird wins Kentucky Derby
Posted By:Josh Morse - Kearney, NE Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
Mine That Bird dug up a miracle, stunning the field to win the Kentucky Derby with a dynamic stretch run through the mud Saturday at Churchill Downs in the second biggest upset in Derby history.
The Birdstone colt was piloted by 2007 Derby winner Calvin Borel, who won the Kentucky Oaks on Friday.
Mine that Bird went off at 50-1 and paid $103.20 to win. The $1 superfecta paid $278,503.19.
Mine That Bird came to Louisville in a trailer hauled by his trainer, Bennie Woolley, 45, from New Mexico, part of the low-key persona that kept bettors away. He is the reigning 2-year old champion in Canada, but none of the experts thought much of him, despite the fact that his sire, Birdstone, won the Belmont in 2004 and his grandsire, Grindstone, won the Kentucky Derby in 1996.
The dark bay gelding was bred in Kentucky by Needham/Betz Thoroughbreds of Lexington. Owners Double Eagle Ranch and Buena Suerte Equine of Roswell, New Mexico, bought the horse for $9,500 in 2007.
Borel did it by biding his time in last place during the early parts of the race behind a half-mile run in 47.23 seconds, waiting for room to open on the rail and passing horse after horse down the stretch in front of the stunned crowd of 153,563.
The field was missing one of the early favorites, I Want Revenge, who was scratched in the morning when a foot problem was discovered.
Pioneerof the Nile was second and Musket Man came in third.
The favorite, Friesan Fire, was 18th. Borel was at least 15 lengths behind the leaders on the backstretch, but he squeezed through a tight hole along the rail and then drew away. The ride reinforced the jockey’s nickname of Calvin Bo-Rail.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities