The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week 1
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
Top 25 - Week 1
Some teams impressed me this weekend. Other teams did not. Now that I have had a chance to see most of the teams play, I think this top 25 is more accurate than the one I put out in the preseason. NOTE: There are two games tomorrow - FSU vs. Miami and Rutgers vs. Cincinnati - whose results will show up in next week's rankings.
1. Florida Gators, SEC (1-0, 0-0) - The Gators steamrolled Charleston Southern 62-3. This is an obvious choice. With Bradford getting hurt for OU, Tim Tebow is a step closer to Heisman number two.
2. Texas Longhorns, Big 12 (1-0, 0-0) - The Horns took care of business easily against Louisiana Monroe, 59-20. QB Colt McCoy also benefits from the Bradford injury, putting him head to head with Tebow early in the year for the trophy.
3. USC Trojans, Pac 10 (1-0, 0-0) - Freshman Barkley is going to be the next Heisman candidate in L.A. This game was over before it started, but USC gets a tougher task at Ohio State in six days.
4. Alabama Crimson Tide, SEC (1-0, 0-0) - Nick Saban's Tide showed their toughness and depth, pulling away from VT in the 4th quarter for a 34-24 win. QB Greg McElroy passed for 230 yards in his debut.
5. Oklahoma State Cowboys, Big 12 (1-0, 0-0) - I knew the Cowboys would score some points (they got 24). But I am more impressed that they held UGA to just ten points.
6. Penn State Nittany Lions, Big 10 (1-0, 0-0) - PSU didn't do anything special this weekend, but a win is a win, and it wasn't close.
7. Ole Miss Rebels, SEC (1-0, 0-0) - I am still not sure if this team is top 10 material, but Jevan Snead did look good in the 2nd half against Memphis, and Houston Nutt has my respect.
8. California Bears, Pac 10 (1-0, 0-0) - The Bears got redemption in a big way against Maryland, 52-13. These guys could be a team to watch on the left coast.
9. LSU Tigers, SEC (1-0, 0-0) - It wasn't their greatest performance ever, but the Tigers held off lowly Washington 31-23 eighteen-hundred miles from home.
10. BYU Cougars, MWC (1-0, 0-0) - The 1984 national champions showed Oklahoma what's up in Dallas. They won it fair and square at a neutral site, so I'm giving them some love in my poll. It will be tough for them to leap-frog anyone from here though as the schedule presents few big games.
11. Ohio State, Big 10 (1-0, 0-0) - It KILLS me to have the Buckeyes this high. After all, they nearly lost to Navy at home Saturday. No worries though, after this week, Southern Cal will give me a good reason to send them way down the list.
12. Oklahoma Sooners, Big 12 (0-1, 0-0) - The Sooners lost the game and their star quarterback against BYU. And while Bradford will return in week 4, OU's national title hopes are probably gone.
13. Virginia Tech Hokies, ACC (0-1, 0-0) - Ok, so VT isn't quite at the level of one of the SEC's top teams, but they weren't far off. They played them a good game, so I am only dropping them 6 spots in my poll.
14. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, ACC (1-0, 0-0) - The Jackets beat Jacksonville State easily, and are now primed for a Thursday Night national TV game against Clemson.
15. Nebraska Cornhuskers, Big 12 (1-0, 0-0) - The Huskers made quick work of Florida Atlantic with a 49-3 win at Memorial Stadium. Arkansas State is up next.
16. Florida State Seminoles, ACC (1-0, 0-0) - The 'Noles tangle with Miami Monday Night at home in Tallahassee. My prediction is that FSU handles their in-state rival, and we will see FSU ranked just outside the top 10 in my poll due out a week from today.
17. TCU Horned Frogs, MWC (1-0, 0-0) - This is a mystery team to me as the schedule is light. Virginia is terrible, and that is who TCU has next - so we still won't no much after this coming Saturday.
18. North Carolina Tar Heels, ACC (1-0, 0-0) - It is tough to tell how good a team is just because they blew out the Citadel. Still, I like Yates at quarterback, and Davis is a great college coach. The Heels could be for real - we will just have to wait and see.
19. Georgia Bulldogs, SEC (0-1, 0-0) - The Dawgs took one on the chin out in Stillwater. But still, that was a very tough road trip and I think UGA will win nine games in 2009.
20. Boise State, WAC (1-0, 0-0) - It isn't that I don't like Boise State. It's just that beating Oregon in what is essentially a one game playoff into the BCS angers me. Yes, they are solid, but I'm just not ready to scoot them up into the top 10 yet.
21. Kansas Jayhawks, Big 12 (1-0, 0-0) - The Jayhawks started off at number 25, and after putting 49 on Northern Colorado, I'll bump 'em up a couple of spots.
22. Texas Tech Red Raiders (1-0, 0-0) - With an offense this explosive year in and year out, it is hard not to have TTU in the top 25.
23. Arkansas Razorbacks, SEC (1-0, 0-0) - Arkansas is always a team you don't want to face. To me, they are the SEC team that does not get enough respect.
24. Pittsburgh Panthers, Big East (1-0,0-0) - I am not real sure what to think about Pitt. Cowher is a mean SOB, but the Panthers always seem to dissapoint.
25. Clemson Tigers, ACC (1-0, 0-0) - The Tigers were number 25 in my preseason poll. After watching them live this weekend, I see no reason for them to move up or down. Spiller was electric before a small injury (96 yard kick return td), and freshman qb Parker has great promise.
NOTE: The Irish of Notre Dame are not in my rankings. After losing 16 games in two seasons, beating Nevada isn't going to be what gets them back in my poll.
So there you have it folks, The Top Fan's Top 25 following the games of week one. As I mentioned at the top of the article, Monday's games will be reflected in the week 2 rankings...
Please feel free to comment below!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities