The Top Fan's Top 25
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
This week didn't bring the upsets that we have grown used to, but the top 25 was shaken up just a hair. The biggest slippage went to LSU, while the biggest gainers were Iowa and South Florida. Here is my week seven top 25....
1. Florida (5-0, 3-0 SEC) (TopFan's Poll Last Week: 1) - I was very impressed with the Gators this weekend. The defense on this team will keep them in every game they play regardless of how the UF offense plays. If Tebow and company show up at all, a win is nearly a gimme. They are clearly the number 1 team right now.
2. Alabama (6-0, 3-0 SEC) (TFPLW: 2) - A big win over Mississippi has me keeping the Tide at number 2. The Rebels, no doubt, are not even a top 25 team. But Bama man-handled them in style, and a 22-3 win could have very easily been a 49-3 win. When and if these field goals turn into touchdowns, Bama could be just as good as Florida. I see no reason to think these two teams won't meet in Atlanta.
3. Texas (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) (TFPLW: 4) - After letting Colorado give them an early scare at home, the Longhorn defense took over with a 91-yard interception return. Later, Jordan Shipley ran a kickoff back for a score and had a touchdown catch. He - not qb Colt McCoy - may be the Heisman candidate on this team.
4. Virginia Tech (5-1, 3-0 ACC) (TFPLW: 5) - VT is playing as well as any team in the country right now with 5 straight wins, including this latest 48-14 beat down on Boston College. I predicted wrong that BC would hang tough. What I didn't expect was for Tyrod Taylor to show that he can pass that well. He put on a show against the Eagles with several tight, long passes. With a running game to set up the pass, and a solid defense, Tech could hang around and sneak back in the national title talk.
5. Cincinnati (5-0, 1-0 Big East) (TFPLW: 6) - The Bearcats are still my darkhorse team to be in the NC game. They have destroyed everyone on their schedule so far and the road blocks remaining are few. This Thursday they have a big game with South Florida in Tampa. If they can get through that one - look out!
6. Boise State (TFPLW: 7) Again, for the umpteenth time, I just can't have Boise State making any kind of real jump. This six spot may be the top of the mountain - at least until after the bowl games are played. I just can't get over this schedule thing, even though I know Boise wishes they could play more big teams. With Oregon tearing things up now, it helps their cause.
7. USC (4-1, 2-1 Pac 10) (TFPLW: 8) - The Trojans do this to themselves year after year. Instead of having a clear cut trip to the national title game (I feel Texas will lose at some point), USC will have to win out and then have Pete Carroll on ESPN explain his heart out as to why his team should go in front of a Boise or a VT or a Cincinnati. Come on guys, just win your Pac 10 games! Oregon may get 'em in a few weeks, but I think they win the Pac 10 again with one loss.
8. Ohio State (5-1, 3-0 Big 10) (TFPLW: 11) - I watched this game pretty closely, and I am more impressed now with OSU than I was before. The defense on this team is strong, and in mjaor college football, that is huge. The big games remaining for Ohio State are their last three in Penn State, Iowa and Michigan to close.
9. Iowa (6-0, 2-0 Big 10) (TFPLW: 12) - If they played tomorrow, I would pick Iowa at Iowa and Ohio state at Ohio State if these two teams, ranked 8 and 9, were to play one another. Iowa looked great against Michigan, and have some big, beastly guys. Ricky Stanzi is also playing pretty well at quarterback. The Hawkeyes have had good teams for years, could this be the year that big things happen?
10. TCU (5-0, 1-0 MWC) (TFPLW: 9) - The Horned Frogs slipped a spot this week, but it isn't so much that their 20-17 win over Air Force gave me doubt, but more that Iowa really impressed me and, er, leap-frogged them. TCU definetly will not get any style points or college football street credit by beating Air Force by that little of margin, but these days a win is a win is a win.
11. Miami (4-1, 2-1 ACC) (TFPLW: 10) - Lowly Florida A&M was the first unranked team that Miami has been able to play so far. After FSU, GT, VT and Oklahoma, the 'Canes deserved a break! Now they get UCF, Clemson, and Wake Forest to get into the second half of this turnaround season at the U.
12. LSU (5-1, 3-1 SEC) (TFPLW: 4) - It is hard to drop LSU back too far, but then again, when you muster just 3 points at home in a huge game, I have to knock them back. I know the Gators have one of the toughest D's in the country, but I still would think that a single touchdown of some kind would have been managable. Their own defense is stout, and LSU will probably win the rest of their games except for Bama.
13. Oregon (5-1, 3-0 Pac 10) (TFPLW: 13) - Ok Oregon fans, I give you respect! No, you didnt move up in the poll here, but that is only because their are lots of good teams ahead of you. UCLA led the Ducks by a 3-0 score at halftime, and the UO turned up the heat after running the second half opening kickoff back for a score. Next up for the Ducks is a trip to Washington.
14. Nebraska (4-1, 1-0 Big 12) (TFPLW: 20) - After going on the road in a pouring rain storm for the win on Thursday, I'm going to bump the Cornhuskers up pretty good. Ndamukong Suh is a terror on the defensive front line. I was also impressed with the way Nebraska closed that game out - a sign of what good teams do. After taking the lead 13-12, Nebraska never looked back and dumped on two more tds.
15. Penn State (5-1, 1-1 Big 10) (TFPLW: 15) - This is the team that I just do not know too much about yet. Iowa is going to do big things this year, so that loss was understandable. But I still want to see if Penn State is a true top 25 team, or if they just have this ranking based on their long and strong reputation. We will find out soon as they have Minnesota at home.
16. Kansas (5-0, 1-0 Big 12) (TFPLW: 16) - Finally a win over a decent opponent. If you are a Jayhawk, you are happy to b undefeated. But if you are going to be a Big 12 challenging type team, I think you need to beat Iowa State at home a little worse. In fact, the Cyclones were throwing towards the end zone as time was winding down, and a man wide open was just missed. They keep their 16 spot, but I'm not sold yet.
17. South Florida (5-0, 1-0 Big East) (TFPLW: 24) - We will know much more about this team after Thursday night. Cincy has been on fire in 2009, but now that I have cursed them, USF will probably run them out of Tampa. The win over FSU was pretty good, but who knows if FSU is good or bad anyway. I just need to see more - and will get plenty Thursday night.
18. Oklahoma (3-2, 1-0 Big 12) (TFPLW: 18) - Sam Bradford is back, and no matter how well backup Landry Jones performed, you know the Sooners are better off with Bradford. This Saturday, OU will get a crack at Texas. A Heisman finalist will take the field with each possession in what is sure to be a classic game.
19. South Carolina (5-1, 2-1 SEC) (TFPLW: 22) - The Gamecocks held on for a big home SEC win over Kentucky. The star of the day was freshmen wide receiver Alshon Jeffrey, who had three touchdown catches. Stephen Garcia is maturing at quarterback for the Gamecocks, as well. South Carolina needs consistency now. One weekend the offense plays great, the next it is the defense. This coming week against Alabama, they will certainly need both units playing great.
20. Georgia Tech (5-1, 3-1 ACC) (TFPLW: 23) - The Yellow Jackets won a close game at FSU Saturday to stay alive in the ACC Coastal race. With VT playing lights out, GT has to stay within one game of the Hokies in the standings, in my opinion. The Hokies return to Atlanta this Saturday to face GT, hoping they dont find their only two losses of 2009 in the same city.
21. Oklahoma State (4-1, 1-0 Big 12) (TFPLW: 17) - Oklahoma State is lingering around after the loss to Houston in week two. I havent gotten the chance to see OSU too much, so I cant make a fair assessment. Next up for Oklahoma State is Missouri in Stillwater.
22. BYU (5-1, 2-0 MWC) (TFPLW: UR) - Well, after putting up 59 points, I guess I can believe in the BYU offense again. Still, giving up 54 to FSU a few weeks ago is a concern. They Cougars play a good TCU team in two weeks, so I will let them hang around the poll until then. If they can take care of TCU I will bump them up a bit higher.
23. Houston (4-1, 0-1 Conference USA) (TFPLW: UR) - The Cougars went on the road to Mississippi State and got the win, 31-24. Like I said before, the Cougars now have wins over the SEC and the Big 12 and it is only week seven. They rest of the schedule is pretty easy really - so dont be surprised to see Houston in a dang good bowl this year!
24. Utah (4-1, 1-0 MWC) (TFPLW: UR) - The Utes squeeked by Colorado State this past weekend 24-17. I'm not into running up the score, but when you talk about wanting to play the big boys, you certainly cant be squeeking by Colorado State. The Rams are terrible - always are - and so you need to beat them badly. Next up for Utah is a trip to UNLV. The Runnin' Rebels just gave up 59 points to BYU.
25. Auburn (5-1, 2-1 SEC) (TFPLW: 14) - When I look at the one-loss teams ranked ahead of Auburn, I am still kind of surprised. Yeah, they lost to Arkansas. But like I said before - Arkansas is a good team due to beat someone. Auburn will be just fine, and I look for them to remain a top 25 team throughout 2009.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities