Bowl Update, Gamecocks Lose
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
The Gamecocks of South Carolina talked before and after their game against Clemson about how it was "the game of the season." Apparently, they were not kidding. The Gamecocks looked like an entirely different football team against UConn - and that is not a good thing. The Huskies had their way all day against South Carolina, resulting in a 20-7 win....Also, the Mountain West Conference has wrapped up the Bowl Challenge Cup for the second straight season.
South Carolina (7-6) had a lot going for it entering the PapaJohns.com Bowl, but they let it all go out of the window. Playing a UConn (8-5) team that I am guessing they underrated, South Carolina was shutout until a meaningless touchdown late in the final minutes made the score look a little bit more respectable than it actually was. UConn wanted this bowl trophy more, and that was apparent from the opening whistle.
South Carolina's Stephen Garcia - who held back tears following the loss - was just 16 of 38 (128 yards) and threw an interception. He had no passing touchdowns on the day. His counterpart, UConn's Zach Frazer, was only 9 of 21 for 107 yards, but the Huskies did their damage on the ground courtesy of Andre Dixon, who had 126 yards on 33 carries and a touchdown.
I don't want to bash South Carolina in this article. In fact, a win by them would make the Clemson loss not quite as bad. But this is one of the poorest bowl perfromances I have seen in quite some time. The team looked unenthusiastic and without a solid gameplan.
As for UConn, this win puts a little smile on the faces of a team full of players, coaches and parents that endured a rocky season. Jasper Howard was killed earlier this season, and the team played the remainder of 2009 in his honor.
Bowl Challenge Cup.
For the second consecutive season, the MWC has wrapped up the Bowl Challenge Cup (ESPN). The conference went 4-0, with TCU still left to play Boise State.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
- New Season, New Management
- Congrats, Hessian!
- Misery Index: Oklahoma State, Mike Gundy stumble in Stillwater ... again
- Amway Coaches Poll: Alabama remains No. 1 as top of rankings are unchanged
- College football's Week 12 winners and losers
- UCLA fires coach Jim Mora after loss to USC dropped Bruins to 5-6
- Bad behavior won't slow Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield's Heisman campaign