Tigers Take Game 1
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
Friday: Clemson 4, South Carolina 3 - Clemson leads series 1 to 0 - GAME TWO: Saturday, 2:00, Flour Field, Greenville, SC - On Monday morning, I will be posting a college baseball update of where we stand as teams are now ten games or so into the season. As for now, I will tell you that it is still COLD for baseball - even in South Carolina! My brother and I braved the 45-degree weather, and went to Clemson Friday night to watch as the Tigers defeated USC 4-3 in game one of a three-game series that continues today at 2:00 from Flour Field in Greenville. The series finale is tomorrow in Columbia. Both teams are NCAA mainstays, and favorites to reach the field of eight in Omaha.
After a big second inning triggered by two home runs - one by Chris Epps and one by Jeff Schaus - the Tigers went up early. But USC tied the game up in the 3rd with two singles and a double - all with two outs. Later, the Gamecocks took the lead in the 6th inning, and it seemed as if the Tigers would go down in this first game.
But Clemson tied it up in the 7th, and then took the lead for good in the 8th when Wilson Boyd singled in Epps.
I tried to capture in pictures what the scene out behind Doug Kingsmore Stadium pregame was like, but that is an impossible task. In what started years and years ago, big Clemson baseball games often turn the Jervey Meadows (the 20-acre or so field behind the baseball stadium) into one big party. When I was at Clemson in the late 1990's it was fun - and it was big! But last night, we laughed out loud at how big this thing had become! Literally thousands of Clemson students created a sprawling party of folks blaring music, drinking beer, dancing, and playing corn-hole. It was such a thing that pictures cannot come close to doing it justice, and I have to think is very unique to the college baseball world....Good times!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities