Do We Really Need the Seed?
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
As I watched these games the last couple of days (and certainly will all day today and tomorrow if possible), I have noticed one thing: we don't need to seed the teams!
Ok, maybe award the best teams in the land with a bye or something in round one. But as for seeding, forget it. In the opening round of this year's tournament, there were eleven "upsets" where the lower seeded team won. Eleven. Eleven out of thirty-two games. Folks, that means in one-third of the games played, the committee missed on who they thought was the stronger team.
I say it doesn't matter, anyway. I think the committee does a pretty good job finding the best 64 (er, 65) teams, I just think they have no clue where to go from there. Seeming how the numbers one and two seeds are the rarest of the rare to go down in the first round, I say that those are the only teams that should receive seeds (or byes).
The NCAA is talking once again about restructuring the tournament to possibly bring in more teams, so now is the time they should do away with seeding while they're at it! Sure, award the "best" eight teams with a bye in the opening round. Make 'em feel special with an "elite team" tag coming in to the Dance. Whatever.
But after that, I say seeding is pointless.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
- New Season, New Management
- Congrats, Hessian!
- Week 13 lookahead: Count on a major upset on rivalry weekend
- Chip Kelly considers offers from Florida, UCLA; turns down Tennessee
- USA TODAY Sports college football staff picks for Week 13
- AAC commissioner angry College Football Playoff committee isn't respecting Central Florida
- College football Playoff rankings reaction: What we know with two weeks of games left