The Field Is Set
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
The Field is set for the College World Series from Omaha, Nebraska. The final two teams to hit the road towards Rosenblatt Stadium were Clemson and Oklahoma, who had to take care of some final business today in deciding game threes. With the Tigers and Sooners now on their ways, the national championship for America's favorite pastime is about to really heat up!
The field of eight is split into two brackets, and both brackets feature arch-rivals who have a strong chance of playing each other in the College World Series. The first bracket features the Florida Gators and the Florida State Seminoles, who reside just 75 miles apart in the Sunshine State. Florida will face UCLA in their opener, while FSU will face TCU.
The second bracket has two teams from the Palmetto State competing as rivals South Carolina and Clemson have reached Omaha once again. The two teams met in the CWS in 2002, when USC eliminated the Tigers by winning back to back games. These two teams share a bracket with Arizona State (who willl play Clemson) and Oklahoma (who will play South Carolina).
The two bracket winners will then face off in a best of three series to determine the champion. This has been the format since 2003, when Rice won it all.
As far as national titles go, Arizona State is the class of the field. However, they haven't won one in their last 11 trips to Omaha. It was 1981 when ASU last won the national championship. Oklahoma is the most recent team to win one as they brought it home in 1994. The rest of the field has yet to win a championship, so the blood is in the water!
TCU is making its first ever trip to Rosenblatt Stadium. The Horned Frogs went through top-ranked Texas to do it. UCLA hasn't been in 13 years, and Oklahoma hasn't been in 16 years.
The event runs Friday through June 30th (depending on the number of games of the final series), with all games on ESPN or ESPN2...
My preview coming Friday!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities