New Coaches for 2010
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags:
|Share on Twitter|
There are no shortages of first-year head coaches in 2010! A whopping 22 men will be pacing their teams' respective sidelines for the first time this September. Here, I rate what I see as the best hires from one to ten. I also listed the other twelve coaches that were hired to put a spark into things as the new boss...
1. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame - Besides catching stop-lights when in a hurry, nothing is guaranteed. But Notre Dame hired about as good of a coach as they could to right the ship. The pressure is tremendous, but if he can put Cincinnati in the BCS, he can win with blue-chippers.
2. Tommy Tuberville, Texas Tech - The Red Raiders got a steal in Tubberville. He is a solid coach with a proven background and will have TTU back in the top 25 quickly. Two weeks after he signed on with the Red Raiders, the Tennessee job popped open. That would have been an even better fit...
3. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State - Everone in the Western hemisphere knows Jimbo has been waiting in the wings for two full seasons. Now, it is time to sit back and watch what he can do. My guess is that FSU is a top 15 mainstay soon enough.
4. Skip Holtz, South Florida - This was a very good hire, in my opinion. Holtz is a fine coach, and USF can attract quality talent. I see this as a program challenging for big things in the next few seasons.
5. Turner Gill, Kansas - A year ago, there was a huge mess about Gill not getting a D-1 shotwith Auburn. Now, Gill has that shot. It may take a season or two to get his players in the system, but I see Kansas winning again soon.
6. Mike London, Virginia - If ever there was a program that needed some fresh air, it was this one. Shew! Enter London, who had very good success at the FCS level ('08 national champs), but has yet to be challenged in the big-time. He has strong UVA ties.
7. Charlie Strong, Louisville - The game of football starts with defense, and Strong is a specialist here. With an SEC background at South Carolina and Florida, Strong will at least have the Cardinals playing fundamentally sound, tough defense. A good hire.
8. Derek Dooley, Tennessee - This dude has his hands full. He has ZERO offensive linemen returning and a new quarterback to settle in. Luckily, the defense has a decent number of returning starters, but this is going to be a losing season in Knoxville, in my opinion. Not sure of Dooley's credentials either (17-20 in three seasons at La. Tech?), but whatever.
9. Lane Kiffin, USC - This guy makes a lot of headlines, but so far all I have seen out of him is a sorry stint with the Oakland Raiders and a mediocre stop in Knoxville with the Tennessee Volunteers a year ago. Combined record? 12-21. Not super impressive. He is an enormous question mark to me.
10. Robbie Caldwell, Vanderbilt - I don't like this guy already. I've heard one presser and this dude thought he was the funniest thing since Carrottop. On top of that, I get a feeling Bobby Johnson got a raw deal in all of this. Anyway, it doesn't matter, Phillips is going to lose A LOT of football games at Vanderbilt in the next few seasons.
* Joker Phillips, Kentucky
* Butch Jones, Cincinnati
* Bobby Hauck, UNLV
* Doc Holliday, Marshall
* Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina
* Larry Porter, Memphis
* Sonny Dykes, La. Tech
* Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State
* Rob Ianello, Akron
* Dan Enos, Central Michigan
* Todd Berry, La. Monroe
* Willie Taggart, Western Kentucky
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Tim Drevno leaving Michigan football; Ed Warinner to join the staff
- UConn football coach: 'We’ve become a farm system'
- Marshall football player Larry Aaron dies after New Year's Eve shooting
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has his staff, but can he fix offense's efficiency?
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response