The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Ten
|Share on Twitter|
Oregon hung on to keep the top spot, but several other teams in the top 25 were not so lucky. Michigan State and Missouri really got spanked, opening the door for other teams to move up. Here is my top 25 as we head into the tenth week of the season...
1. Oregon (8-0) - The Ducks unleashed the offense once again, scoring 35 points in the middle part of the game on the way to the 52-35 win over USC.
2. Auburn (9-0) - The Tigers went up big in the first half and then cruised for a 20-point win over Ole Miss. They now get a breather against Chattanooga, before finishing the regular season with Georgia (home) and Alabama (away).
3. Boise State (7-0) - The Thursday night game last week did not help Boise's cause, but I still know they can play. They ended up winning by almost 30 points, but it wasn't the stylish win they were looking for on national TV. Next up is Hawaii.
4. TCU (9-0) - The Horned Frogs made quick and easy work of UNLV, 48-6. Now, we will get to see TCU in a big game as they face Utah in six days on the road.
5. Alabama (7-1) - The Tide had the week off, and moved back into the top five. With TCU and Boise ahead of them in the BCS rankings, they would need some help. But lucky for Alabama, they have three big games in LSU, Auburn and the would-be SEC title game.
6. Wisconsin (7-1) - Like Bama, the Badgers were idle, and moved up. Those are nice weekends! The final four games for Wisconsin are all should-wins, so an 11-1 regular season seems to be a real possibilty.
7. Ohio State (8-1) - The Buckeyes may not be a national title type of team, but I do think they are a top ten squad. They beat Minnesota 52-10 Saturday and their lone loss on the season was at Wisconsin.
8. Stanford (7-1) - I really believe this is one of the better teams in the country. Their only loss on the season was at Oregon back in week five. They get Arizona at home this week as they look to climb back up the polls.
9. Utah (8-0) - The Utes squeeked by Air Force to remain unbeaten. I am hesitant to rank Utah at nine because they are yet to have recorded a big win on the year. They play TCU in six days, so we will see which of those two are the real deal.
10. Oklahoma (7-1) - The Sooners blasted Colorado 43-10 to bounce back from their loss at Missouri. They are chasing Baylor in the Big 12 South, but get to play them in three weeks.
11. Michigan State (8-1) - The dream season of 2010 has come to an ugly end for Spartan fans. Iowa whipped MSU up and down the field. They should win their next two and then go to Penn State to end the year. 10-2 or 11-1 would be an outstanding regular season!
12. Nebraska (7-1) - I got to watch the first quarter of this game where Nebraska exploded for 24 points - including six on the very first play from scrimmage. They then cruised for the win. The Texas loss is puzzling.
13. LSU (7-1) - Another game of the year will go down in Baton Rouge Saturday as LSU welcomes in Nick Saban's Crimson Tide. While the SEC West is a super long shot with the Auburn loss, this is a game with major national implications.
14. South Carolina (6-2) - The Gamecocks turned it on in the second half against Tennessee with 28 points. This team is the class of the SEC East, but still has two tough SEC games to prove it: Arkansas next week at home, and Florida away in two weeks.
15. Arizona (7-1) - A showdown with Stanford awaits this weekend in a key game in the Pac Ten. It is a tall task, but a win on the road over the Cardinal would set Arizona up for a championship-type game in Eugene in three weeks.
16. Iowa (6-2) - Iowa recorded what might have been the most impressive win of the weekend in the 37-6 thumping of Michigan State. Like I said before, this team is just a couple of plays from being unbeaten and ranked third.
17. Missouri (7-1) - The Tigers were used and abused in Lincoln in a devistating loss to Nebraska. Though just a one-loss team, I am not super impressed with their overall resume. They're good, but not top tenish.
18. Arkansas (6-2) - This is a very dangerous team. They lost a close one with Bama and a shootout with Auburn. Next up is a road contest at South Carolina between two very, very evenly matched teams.
19. Oklahoma State (7-1) - The Cowboys could win out and finish with an 11-1 regular season. That would be BCS material. Oklahoma and Texas await, as does Baylor, but with the Sooners and Bears at home, I see OSU favored in each.
20. Virginia Tech (6-2) - The early losses to Boise State and James Madison knocked VT off of the radar. But Beamer's boys have now won six straight and should destroy GT on national TV Thursday night. With the Miami loss to UNC, this is your Coastal favorite.
21. Mississippi State (7-2) - After back to back losses to West division foes Auburn and LSU, MSU has now won six games straight. As I've said several times on this site, I really respect the job Head Coach Dan Mullen has done.
22. Baylor (7-2) - It almost feels wrong to rank Baylor in here. From their ugly uniforms to their constant absence from the top 25, this just feels weird. But with three straight wins, here they are.
23. NC State (6-2) - Right now, the loss to ECU is keeping this from being a very big year in Raleigh. But the Wolfpack can still make this a banner year by winning the Atlantic and playing in the ACCCG. They get a sliding Clemson next week.
24. Florida State (6-2) - A road loss to NCSU knocked the Seminoles from the driver's seat in the ACC Atlantic. Now, they must win out and hope the Pack gets beat along the way.
25. Nevada (7-1) - I find myself wondering what justifies the Wolfpack of Nevada being a top 25 team, but here they are due to a lack of other teams wanting to get in or stay in. They face Boise in a few weeks so we will see what they have then.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
- New Season, New Management
- Congrats, Hessian!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.