Sooners Roll On
Posted By:Brett Haynes - Greenville, SC Tags: college football
|Share on Twitter|
Oklahoma will continue to be the top team in the land in the major polls following their defeat of Missouri. Quarterback Landry Jones went 35 of 48 for 448 yards and three touchdowns to lead his team to a 3-0 start. Oklahoma will have a true challenger in the #1 votes department, though. LSU went on the road to West Virginia and showed some muscle - offensively. A team based on defense scored 47 on the Mountaineers. And Texas A&M - as predicted here - lost in their first big game of the season.
The Sooners went up 31-14 going into the fourth quarter, but some late points by Missouri made the score seem closer than it really was. Still, a Sooner team that is known to score in the 50's and 60's regularly has now scored 23 and 38 in the past two weeks. I expect them to get rolling, though, and some high numbers are to come.
LSU - a team I have raved on over their defense - put on an offensive outburst against a pretty good West Virginia team. Quarterback Jarrett Lee through for three touchdowns, but more importantly, no interceptions. I have this team as my number 1. If they played Oklahoma, I would pick the Tigers.
I have not given Texas A&M much credit (while they were top ten in all the other major polls), and I am glad of that. Coach Mike Sherman was 19-19 coming into this season - not impressive. So I wasn't buying their #8 national AP ranking. Sure enough, in their first big game - at home - they lose. So enough about them. I probably won't have them in my top 25.
Oklahoma State, though, who beat A&M, is a legit top 10 team. Year after year after year, they are solid under Mike Gundy. Props to them for the road victory.
Clemson is set up for a huge ACC game with Virginia Tech next weekend. The Tigers defeated Florida State to get to 4-0. CU will crack the top 20 this week, but Tiger fans are all too familiar with what can happen in Blacksburg against the Hokies. FSU, meanwhile, has gone from the top ten to possibly unranked as they now sit at 2-2.
And speaking of the ACC, it is back to form with several embarassing OOC losses. Miami, fresh off of a win over Ohio State, turns around and loses to lowly Kansas State. Maryland was thumped by Temple 38-7 at home for crying out loud! And Virginia lost to Southern Mississippi. As an ACC fan, that is just embarassing in all three cases.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Tim Drevno leaving Michigan football; Ed Warinner to join the staff
- UConn football coach: 'We’ve become a farm system'
- Marshall football player Larry Aaron dies after New Year's Eve shooting
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has his staff, but can he fix offense's efficiency?
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response