|Share on Twitter|
Nebraska opens Big Ten home play with a stunning second half come behind victory in the rain. The Cornhuskers looked down and out. It was raining in Lincoln and Ohio State was leading the home team by 21 points, 27-6. But then QB Taylor Martinez - who had been booed the week before as well as the thiry minutes before - came to life. Over the final 22:37 Martinez engineered the biggest comeback in Nebraska history.....ALSO, Oklahoma laid a beat-down on Texas, Arkansas is looking good after beating Auburn, and Florida State appears to have real problems.
The more I think about it, it is kind of crazy that 21 points is the biggest comeback in this school's history. I guess this is due to the fact that they haven't trailed by more than 21 points all that many times? I don't know. But 21 points isn't that huge. Regardless, that is the deficit that was overcome in the second half of this one.
Rex Burkhead gave the Cornhuskers the lead for good with five minutes to go. With that, Nebraska - a team that was looking like one of 2011's biggets washes - has new life in the Big Ten. Their loss a week ago was to Wisconsin, who plays in the other division. The Huskers are alive and well for the Big Ten crown in season one.
Coach Bo Pelini must also feel a huge sense of relief. Entering his fourth season, expectations were high for Nebraska with a top ten preseason ranking. But a week five slaughtering at Wisconsin left NU searching for answers, and some fans grumbling. This win showed this team has heart, and that Pelini is a battler.
This is a huge win for the Cornhuskers. An 0-2 start to begin play in their new league would have been really bad. Instead, they are now 1-1 including a thirlling win over one of the Big Ten's most storied programs. I'm very glad I got to watch the second half of this game!
Oklahoma put to rest any questions about who is better between them and the Horns. They pummeled Texas from the get go, posting 34 points before halftime to improve to 5-0. The Sooners rode the defense, who scored three times.
Arkansas, whose only loss is to Alabama, beat Auburn, 38-14. The Razorbacks are pretty tough, folks. If it weren't for their playing in the toughest division in the game, this team would be in the national title talks. If they win out, and Bama loses, they could still be in the talks.
And Florida State - a team that was a preseason top ten pick - is now 0-2 in the ACC, and 2-3 overall. This team has some talent, but their team chemistry must be bad. Everyone loves to lay the fate of this team on QB EJ Manuel, but I feel the problem here is deeper. Yes, all three of their losses came to good teams (Oklahoma, Clemson away, Wake Forest away), but the difference in wins and losses are the little things, and right now FSU is getting those little things wrong.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities