The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Seven
|Share on Twitter|
Although the top ten teams in my poll all won (Arkansas was idle), there was some shaking up this week. And if you are a Boise State fan, you aren't going to like it. I sent three teams - three unbeaten teams that have proved something - in front of the Broncos. Sorry, BSU, but you guys fell from 5th to 8th this week despite scoring 63 points. The biggest beneficiary of this movement was Oklahoma State, who jumped up three spots after beating Texas in Austin...
1. LSU (7-0, 4-0) - Defeated Tennessee, 38-7 - Last week: 1 - After a decisive win over the Volunteers, LSU remains at the top of this poll. A tough two-game stretch is up next for the Tigers as they face Auburn and then Alabama - both at home. Next: Auburn.
2. Alabama (7-0, 4-0) - Defeated Ole Miss, 52-7 - Last week: 2 - If you are a Tide fan, you probably aren't concerned with this ranking as you know your boys will get a shot at LSU in twenty days. Alabama absolutely mopped the floor with Ole Miss. Next: Tennessee.
3. Oklahoma (6-0, 3-0) - Defeated Kansas, 47-17 - Last week: 3 - The Sooners are racking up 45 ppg right now, sixth best in the nation. Landry Jones has been the real deal at QB with 2,177 yards and 16 scores so far. Next: Texas Tech.
4. Wisconsin (6-0, 2-0) - Defeated Indiana, 59-7 - Last week: 4 - The Badger offense continues to impress, ranking best in the land at 50.1 ppg. And the defense? Try third best nationwide (9.7 ppg). These guys are good. Next: at Michigan State.
5. Stanford (6-0, 4-0) - Defeated Washington State, 44-14 - Last week: 6 - The Cardinal turned a 10-7 halftime score into a 30-point blowout by coming out on fire in the second half. QB Andrew Luck's numbers so far: 1,718 yards and 18 TDs. Next: Washington.
6. Oklahoma State (6-0, 3-0) - Defeated Texas, 38-26 - Last week: 8 - If you are going to play with OSU, you better bring an offense with you that day. Defensively, this team is average, but the offense could probably put 30 on the Steelers! Next: at Missouri.
7. Clemson (7-0, 4-0) - Defeated Maryland, 56-45 - Last week: 9 - The Tiger offense had to get it done, and so they did. With the defense playing suspect, QB Tajh Boyd tossed four TDs and WR Sammy Watkins provided 345 all-purpose yards. Next: North Carolina.
8. Boise State (6-0, 1-0) - Defeated Colorado State, 63-13 - Last week: 5 - This drop back is in no disrespect to BSU at all. I respect them tremendously. But the three teams I had jump them this week have proven more. Can't argue that. Also, QB Kellen Moore's numbers are solid, but CU's Boyd and OSU's Brandon Weeden both have better numbers, yardage-wise. Next: Air Force.
9. Oregon (5-1, 3-0) - Defeated Arizona State, 41-27 - Last week: 8 - By the end of the year, I expect Oregon to have worked back into the top five, maybe even better, as teams fall ahead of them. But despite their playing great football right now, that one loss is keeping them behind a slew of teams. Next: at Colorado.
10. Arkansas (5-1, 1-1) - Idle - Last week: 10 - The Razorbacks had the weekend off, and will basically have next weekend off (playing Ole Miss), before a stretch of five games that are all tough in different ways. Next: at Ole Miss.
11. West Virginia (5-1, 1-0) - Idle - Last week: 13 - The Mountaineers benefited by being idle this past weekend. They still control their fate in the Big East as they are unbeaten in conference play. This is my choice to win that league. Next: at Syracuse.
12. South Carolina (6-1, 4-1) - Defeated Mississippi State, 14-12 - Last week: 14 - Despite getting a win, this is a dark day in Columbia. The Gamecocks lost star tailback Marcus Lattimore for the season after a knee injury against MSU. I hate to see that happen. Next: at Tennessee.
13. Nebraska (5-1, 1-1) - Idle - Last week: 15 - Husker fans got the week off to recover from the huge win over Ohio State. The defense, what NU hangs their hat on, is 67th nationally at 27.2 ppg. I would like to see them step that up. Next: at Minnesota.
14. Virginia Tech (6-1, 2-1) - Defeated Wake Forest, 38-17 - Last week: 18 - After the loss to Clemson, some folks in the media were using the excuse that VT wasn't as good as in years past. Apparently that is not the case. VT disassembled a solid Wake Forest team away from Blacksburg. Next: Boston College.
15. Michigan State (5-1, 2-0) - Defeated Michigan, 28-14 - Last week: 24 - It is time for me to give more respect to MSU, so the Spartans jump nine spots in my top 25 to the 15th spot. They shut down one of the most dynamic players in the game, Denard Robinson (168 total yards). Next: Wisconsin.
16. Kansas State (6-0, 3-0) - Defeated Texas Tech, 41-34 - Last week: 19 - The Wildcats just keep on winning, this time hitting the road and outgunning Texas Tech. The next one should be a W, setting up a huge game with the Sooners in Manhattan. Next: at Kansas.
17. Penn State (6-1, 3-0) - Defeated Purdue, 23-18 - Last week: 20 - I caught some grief for ranking PSU a couple of weeks back. Who's laughing now?! I'm telling ya, it isn't always pretty, but the old man didn't get to keep his job for five decades for nothing...Next: at Northwestern.
18. Michigan (6-1, 2-1) - Lost to Michigan State, 28-14 - Last week: 11 - Losing to your rival four years in a row must be painful. I honestly thought the Wolverines had it in them to break that streak, but it wasn't the case. They need to bounce back quick, and they should, as Purdue is quite beatable. Next: Purdue.
19. Georgia Tech (6-1, 3-1) - Lost to Virginia, 24-21 - Last week: 13 - I wasn't sure if GT had it in them to run the table. I knew they were good, but I thought they might lose to Clemson or VT or UGA. The fact that they stumbled against Virginia shocks me. Next: at Miami.
20. Houston (6-0, 2-0) - Idle - Last week: 21 - This team is still a bit of a mystery to me as I haven't seen them play much yet. But I respect their record and we will know more about them in the second half of the season. Next: Marshall.
21. Auburn (5-2, 3-1) - Defeated Florida, 17-6 - Last week: unranked - I have the defending national champions as the only two-loss team in my top 25 right now. Some of this is on gut feel, because I know they could play anybody in the top 10 a damn good game. They will prove this in the next one. Next: at LSU.
22. Washington (5-1, 3-0) - Defeated Colorado, 52-24 - Last week: unranked - Outside of my own team, this is my favorite uniform in the game - so it is great to see the Huskies playing good ball and getting some W's. It has been a while....Next: at Stanford.
23. Cincinnati (5-1, 1-0) - Defeated Louisville, 25-16 - Last week: unranked - The Bearcats are 15th in points against (16.5 ppg) and 11th in points for (41.7 ppg) - solid national rankings. They have a tough stretch coming up with four of the next five on the road. Next: at South Florida.
24. Rutgers (5-1, 2-0) - Defeated Navy, 21-20 - Last week: unranked - If I ranked Cincinnati, I almost had to rank Rutgers, who have a nearly identical record on a similar schedule. The Knights were regulars for a few years a few years back, but it has now been a good while since they've been in the top 25. Next: at Louisville.
25. USC (5-1, 3-1) - Defeated Cal, 30-9 - Last week: unranked - The Trojans looked good on national TV last Thursday night, taking care of Cal with relative ease. They will face two top ten teams in the next five weeks (Stanford and at Oregon). Next: at Notre Dame.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
- New Season, New Management
- Congrats, Hessian!
- Misery Index: Oklahoma State, Mike Gundy stumble in Stillwater ... again
- Amway Coaches Poll: Alabama remains No. 1 as top of rankings are unchanged
- College football's Week 12 winners and losers
- UCLA fires coach Jim Mora after loss to USC dropped Bruins to 5-6
- Bad behavior won't slow Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield's Heisman campaign