The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week One
|Share on Twitter|
Yesterday, as we experienced college football for 17 hours - going to "Gameday" in Clemson at 10 in the morning and getting home around 3 in the morning the following day - I welcomed the sport back in to my life after a long seven-month offseason. I am absolutely exhausted today!
Yes, the college football season is in full swing, and much of what happened in the first week was expected, such as Alabama winning by three TD's over Virginia Tech. But some things were unexpected - such as Oregon State going down to Eastern Washington.
Here is my Top 25 following the games of week one....
1. Alabama (1-0) - The Tide took care of business, as expected. A 35-10 win over VT started with a three-and-out followed by a punt return for a TD...These boys are good.
2. Ohio State (1-0) - I was very tempted to drop OSU a spot or two, but a win is a win is a win, I suppose. Winning by 20 over Buffalo certainly won't gain the Buckeyes any style points, though, at season's end.
3. Stanford (0-0) - The Cardinal have yet to play....
4. Louisville (?-0) - As I type this, Louisville is up 42-0 in the 3rd quarter against Ohio...I will assume they hold on.
5. Oregon (1-0) - Well, 66 points in the first game since Chip Kelly's departure is a good sign. Mark Helfirich's debut went well, but it was Nicholls State for crying out loud.
6, South Carolina (1-0) - The Gamecocks took care of North Carolina with ease. Surprisingly, the South Carolina offense is more exciting to me - at this point - than the defense.
7. Clemson (1-0) - A win over Top 5 Georgia is a huge step in building this team's character. There are issues to work out, but senior QB Tajh Boyd is leading a very solid squad...
8. LSU (1-0) - Under a new OC - Cam Cameron - LSU put 37 points on the board against TCU. We know the defense will be tough, always is. If the offense keeps this up, look out!
9. Texas A&M (1-0) - The Aggies put up 21 points in the first half without Johnny Football. They put up 24 points in the second half with him. It was Rice. Do your own analysis.
10. Florida State (0-0) - FSU will tangle with Pitt tomorrow night...
11. Georgia (0-1) - I dropped the Dawgs from seven to eleven. Todd Gurley is going to go down as one of the great Dawg running backs of all-time. The sophomore is an absolute beast.
12. Michigan (1-0) - The Wolverines won 59-9 against Central Michigan and I dropped them a spot? What is my deal? Well, they will be about 15 when the AP poll comes out today, so I am giving them more love than anyone.
13. Oklahoma State (1-0) - I had the Cowboys leap Florida in this poll as OSU beat a decent Mississippi State team by the same score that Florida beat a dismal Toledo squad...Not blown away here, but I know Gundy's boys will get rolling...
14. Florida (1-0) - A 24-6 win over Toledo is about as ho-hum, twiddly-dooo as it gets. But then again, why even play this game? Miami isn't the 'Canes of the 80s or 90s, but I ranked 'em, and next week will be a much better OOC game for the Gators.
15. UCLA (1-0) - QB Brett Hundley led the Bruins to 58 points in a win over Nevada. UCLA has a week off before a trip to the Heartland to face Nebraska.
16. Texas (1-0) - A 56-7 shellacking of New Mexico State should serve notice that the Horns are ready. What they need to be ready for next is a random trip to BYU...Huh?
17. Oklahoma (1-0) - As of the writing of this article, Oklahoma is #1 in the nation (well tied for) in points against. A 34-0 shutout of Louisiana-Monroe is a good - not great - way to start the season...
18. Northwestern (1-0) - A road trip out west to Cal was a success as a two-TD win over the Bears impressed. Syracuse is up next, back in the comforts of home.
19. Nebraska (1-0) - I know above I left Ohio State in the same spot with a less-than-impressive win, but I cannot do the same for NU. Squeaking by Wyoming at home sees them fall four spots.
20. Arizona State (0-0) - The Sun Devils will open play next week against Sacramento State.
21. Mississippi (1-0) - A short trip north to Nashville saw Ole Miss knock Vandy from my Top 25 for a spot of their own. Of all of the big-name freshmen, WR Laquan Treadwell - to me - is the most exciting so far.
22. Wisconsin (1-0) - A program that has been very good for many years opens with a 45-0 win over UMass. This is definetly a team to keep a close eye on.
23. Notre Dame (1-0) - Due to teams dropping above them, I now have made room for ND in my Top 25 poll. But a 28-6 win over Temple doesn't exactly shake my memories of them from the BCS Title Game...
24. Tennessee (1-0) - Don't look now, but the Vols are back in the rankings (or at least mine)! Tennessee shut out Austin Peay 45-0 in Butch Jones' first game as coach.
25. Miami (1-0) - The Hurricanes open 2013 by beating Florida Atlantic 34-6. This isn't overly impessive, but Miami does seem to have some good players. The Florida Gators show up in six days.
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- How long will Saban coach? Will recruiters target his age? Ready for Clemson-Alabama 4?
- Police say Tyler Hilinski used Washington State teammate's rifle in suicide
- Kelly adds 3 assistants, retains 4 on UCLA coaching staff
- Maryland hires former LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada
- Florida allows 4 suspended players to rejoin team activities