The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Eight
|Share on Twitter|
Eight teams in the AP top 25 lost yesterday, five from the top ten alone. I am not sure if that is a record, but it is probably pretty close. When I sat down to look at how to rank the teams, I didn't even know where to start because there was so much chaos! This was one of the more challenging Top 25 polls I have had to think about in a long time, and honestly, I am not sure if there even exists a right way to rank the teams right now...College football is a mad house in 2013!
Here is my Top 25 following the games of week eight:
1. Alabama (7-0) - The Tide did anything and everything they wanted in a 52-0 thrashing of Arkansas. This coming week Alabama will host Tennessee in what is all of a sudden a huge game with the Vols' win over South Carolina. This rivalry hasn't meant as much in recent seasons, but it is one of the fiercest in the nation and will be in full effect Saturday in Tuscaloosa.
2. Oregon (7-0) - The offensive juggernaut that is the Oregon offense continues to steamroll people as the Ducks put 62 points on visiting Washington State. Oregon is averaging 58 points per game - second in the nation behind Baylor. Washington State was able to score 38 points in the one, but 14 of those came in mop-up duty late in the game when the third-stringers were in. Up next for Oregon is a visit from UCLA.
3. Florida State (6-0) - Talk about eating some humble pie! Yes, I wasn't sold on Jameis Winston and the Seminoles until they cut my Tigers every way but loose in a 37-point beat down in Death Valley. The 51 points are the most ever scored by a visitor at Clemson, and Winston's 444 yards passing broke all kinds of freshman records. This team is for real. My seats are down low behind the visitors' sideline, and I am telling you FSU has some warriors. One player went straight to the crowd as Clemson ran down the Hill, flexing his muscles for all to see. It was that kind of night for Florida State.
4. Ohio State (7-0) - As expected, Urban Meyer had a team play a football game this past weekend, and that team won the game. Meyer's unblemished record as the OSU coach rolls on and the Buckeyes stay in the hunt for a national title. Ohio State defeated Iowa 34-24 behind the solid play of QB Braxton Miller who had to lead his team from behind. Iowa led 17-10 at halftime. He completed 22 of 27 and threw two TDs. Most importantly, though, he did not have an interception. 34 points on this Iowa defense is a good day at the office.
5. Miami (6-0) - I am not a big fan of Head Coach Al Golden as I think he is cheesy as hell with his orange tie and 1950's haircut. But he has his Hurricanes playing solid football right now, so I have to give him that much. Yea, the ACC is finally where it envisioned itself many years ago, with FSU and Miami set to play a huge game in Tallahassee in two weeks. The U is full of good athletes, just like their rival, and NFL scouts will be in full attendance when the 'Noles and 'Canes meet.
6. Baylor (6-0) - The Bears think it is normal to score 70+ points. They have done so four times in 2013, with 35 and 69 being the point totals in the other two games. Yesterday they decided to put 71 on Iowa State. Bryce Petty continues to sneak into the Heisman talks as he tacked on three more TDs and 343 yards passing against the Cyclones. The schedule is tougher in the second half of the season, so it will be interesting to see if the winning - and the scoring - keep up.
7. Texas Tech (7-0) - When you think Big 12, you think of Texas and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State being the teams battling for the league crown. But in 2013, Texas Tech and Baylor have taken over that role. Kliff Kingsbury's first team is unbeaten and in the top ten after a road trip win in the mountains of West Virginia. The Red Raiders trailed by four entering the final quarter, but then scored twice to come away with the win.
8. Missouri (7-0) - Times are exciting in Columbia, Missouri right now. A freshman sensation in Maty Mauk is leading them at QB and the Tigers are unbeaten and in control of the SEC East. Is a meeting with the SEC West champ in the Georgia Dome on the horizon? At this point, you would have to think "probably." Five conference games remain, but Mizzou boasts a two-game lead in the Eastern Division and should be favored in those remaining games.
9. Auburn (6-1) - Gus Malzahn has Auburn rolling! Just eight months into the job, Malzahn has his team climbing the polls and winning SEC games on the road. The Tigers went to Texas A&M yesterday and defeated the Aggies 45-41 on 21 fourth quarter points. Junior QB Nick Marshall accounted for 336 total yards and four TDs. The end of the regualr season meeting between Auburn and Alabama - in Auburn - is setting up to be a thriller!
10. Clemson (6-1) - I honestly didn't want to rank Clemson in the top ten after the butt whoopin' they took to Florida State, but so many teams in the top 25 lost yesterday that CU still has a spot in the top ten due to all of these losses. The Tigers got beat in all phases of the game against FSU in a 51-14 thrashing. The game's first offensive play set the tone for the whole game as Clemson's Stanton Seckinger fumbled after a 15-yard reception. The Seminoles scored soon after on a long pass play and the rout was on.
11. Oklahoma (6-1)
12. Stanford (6-1)
13. UCLA (5-1)
14. LSU (6-2)
15. Fresno State (6-0)
16. Oklahoma State (5-1)
17. Michigan (6-1)
18. Virginia Tech (6-1)
19. Oregon State (6-1)
20. South Carolina (5-2)
21. Louisville (5-1)
22. Texas A&M (5-2)
23. Arizona State (5-2)
24. Michigan State (6-1)
25. Nebraska (5-1)
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has his staff, but can he fix offense's efficiency?
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response
- Kevin Cosgrove named New Mexico acting coach during Bob Davie's suspension
- John Engler praises Mark Dantonio as 'honorable' as contract extended
- Ohio State raises pay for college football assistants to more than $7 million