The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Twelve
|Share on Twitter|
We are coming down the home stretch of the college football regular season now, and the national title picture is still not certain by any stretch of the imagination. Auburn was the big winner of the day with a miracle last second catch for a score in a thrilling game against Georgia. Alabama looked beatable against Mississippi State on the road, and Florida State showed no mercy on Syracuse with a 56-point thrashing. Oklahoma State and Michigan State also looked very strong with road wins...
Here is my Top 25 following the games of week twelve...
1. Alabama (10-0) - The Tide won by 13 on the road in the SEC and many are acting like the world has come to an end. No, Mississippi State is not a national power, but a win is a win is a win and Alabama reaches 10-0 on the season. I agree that style points are not going to come from this win. But luckily for the Crimson Tide, style points are not needed - just wins. Bama, who leads the country in defense at just 10.2 ppg given up, faces Chattanooga before an epic Iron Bowl at Auburn to close the regular season.
2. Florida State (10-0) - Syracuse proved to be no competition for the Seminoles in a 59-3 drubbing in the first ACC meeting between these schools. Freshman quarterback Jameis Winston continues to stay in the Heisman race after he went for two more TDs and 277 yards. The Seminoles host Idaho and then have a meeting with Florida in the Swamp to complete a perfect regular season. At this point it looks like Duke could be the foe in the ACCCG.
3. Ohio State (9-0) - At first it looked like OSU might beat Illinois by a million this past Saturday. The Buckeyes were up 35-0 in the second quarter and were throwing the Illini around with ease. But OSU seemed to lose focus on defense and the next thing we knew it was a two-score game at 44-28 with plenty of time left on the clock. The Buckeyes went on to win 60-35 but it was not the blowout win that it could've been - and that OSU needs weekly at this point.
4. Baylor (9-0) - Each week Baylor gets the "not tested yet" thing thrown at them. And so far, they have passed each test. Next week will come their hardest test of the season as they venture to Stillwater to take on Oklahoma State. If they win that one, then the argument starts to emerge as to why they will be left out. Beating OSU on the road, though, will be a very difficult thing to do. Baylor is in the top five for now, but in six days, who knows.
5. Oregon (9-1) - Utah gave Oregon a good game, but in the end, the Ducks prevailed, 44-21. With Stanford suddenly having two losses in conference, Oregon is right back in the BCS picture. If they can get some lucky breaks in the coming weeks, a national title is still not even totally out of consideration. The key for now is to just keep winning and see what happens.
6. Clemson (9-1) - Always pesty Georgia Tech left Clemson with a 24-point loss as Tajh Boyd had a field day with several different receivers. Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant and Mike Williams all had big nights at wide receiver for the Tigers. Watkins looked as good as he has the whole season, using speed and power to dominate whoever was covering him. Clemson now hosts the Citadel before trying to snap a four-game losing streak to rival South Carolina.
7. Auburn (10-1) - I dropped Auburn a spot here after their win over Georgia yesterday. The Tigers had this one in the bag until a second half defensive collapse allowed the Dawgs to rally behind QB Aaron Murray and take the lead with under a minute to go. However, a desperation 4th and 18 from midfield was then completed and Auburn pulled out the miracle win at home in front of a frenzied, exhausted, blown away crowd. Take 'em how ya can get 'em, right!?
8. Oklahoma State (9-1) - The Cowboys have a chance to get into the serious national discussions as they host #4 Baylor in six days with the national TV audience focused squarely on Stillwater. For years now this has been a very good program under Mike Gundy, and 2013 is no different. The Cowboys manhandled Texas, 38-13 in Austin yesterday and looked like an elite team doing it. Sooner or later, OSU is going to break through and have that national title like season. It probably won;t be this year, but I do expect them to play in the BCS.
9. Missouri (9-1) - The Tigers control their destiny to win the SEC East, but it certainly will not be easy. Slip up once, and the Gamecocks will make the trip to Atlanta as they own the head to head. The final two games for Mizzou are against Ole Miss in Oxford and Texas A&M at home. Neither of those games will be a walk in the park, but win both, and this will be a banner season.
10. South Carolina (8-2) - Steve Spurrier's squad faced a fired up bunch of Gators who nearly gave them more than they wanted last night in Williams Brice Stadium. South Carolina was able to sneak off with the win after two fourth quarter FGs by Elliot Fry provided the winning margin. Coastal Carolina comes to town next for what will be a relaxing win, and so the Gamecocks will then carry a 17-game home winning streak into the season finale against Clemson.
11. Michigan State (9-1)
12. Texas A&M (8-2)
13. Stanford (8-2)
14. UCLA (8-2)
15. Arizona State (8-2)
16. Louisville (9-1)
17. Fresno State (9-0)
18. Northern Illinois (10-0)
19. Wisconsin (8-2)
20. LSU (7-3)
21. Duke (8-2)
22. Central Florida (8-1)
23. Ole Miss (7-3)
24. Oklahoma (8-2)
25. USC (8-3)
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Tim Drevno leaving Michigan football; Ed Warinner to join the staff
- UConn football coach: 'We’ve become a farm system'
- Marshall football player Larry Aaron dies after New Year's Eve shooting
- Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has his staff, but can he fix offense's efficiency?
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response