The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Two
|Share on Twitter|
My Top 25 poll got shaken up a bit following this weekend as some teams took major falls (think Big Ten) and some teams made major jumps (Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, USC). The race towards the first ever College Football Playoff is going to be a good one and it is just getting started!
Here are my Top 25 teams following the games of week two...
1. Florida State (2-0) - So far, Florida State has looked somewhat human. They escaped Dallas with a win over Oklahoma State in week one, and now they've beaten The Citadel by 25. Granted the 'Noles were up by a score of 28-0 at the half, and that the third and fourth-stringers played the final 30 minutes, FSU didn't score nearly as much as I thought they would on their Southern Conference opponent. Both FSU and Clemson have the week off now as they prepare to face each other in Tallahassee in 13 days.
2. Oregon (2-0) - In the second half, it was all Ducks, all day. Oregon scored the 28-straight second half points to defeat visiting Michigan State, 46-27 for a convincing win over a solid and respected program. The win bumps Oregon to the #2 spot in my poll, and Marcus Mariotta and Todd Gurley (UGA) are neck-and-neck in my Heisman thoughts right now. Fans in Eugene often talk about the "natty." Well, this year, their beloved green and yellow and silver squad will be in the CFP discussion all season. Three winnable games are ahead before a huge game at UCLA on October 11th.
3. Auburn (2-0) - The Tigers took the Spartans of San Jose State behind the woodshed for an old-fashioned beat-down yesterday, 59-13. There isn't too much you can take away from games like this besides knowing that the home team came ready to play. Up next for Auburn is an open weekend followed by a game that will tell us a lot more about Gus Malzahn's second team: Kansas State on the road. I have the Wildcats at #13 in this week's edition and that should be a great Thursday night game!
4. Oklahoma (2-0) - This was absolutely no contest from the get go as OU went up 31-0 at halftime en route to a 52-7 win at Tulsa. The Sooners have yet to be tested, but will get a bit tougher competition this coming Saturday when Tennessee rolls into Norman. The Vols are yet to get back to their top form of yore, but they appear to be solid under Butch Jones and should give the Sooners all they want. If Oklahoma can spank Tennessee next weekend, it would be good for their CFP resume.
5. Alabama (2-0) - Props to the Crimson Tide defense on the earning of a shutout as Alabama held Florida Atlantic to 145 total yards in a weather-shortened game. Another very winnable game is up next for the Tide in Southern Mississippi before a home date with Florida should tell us more. Head Coach Nick Saban has made it clear that there is still a battle at QB between Jake Coker and Blake Sims.
6. Georgia (1-0) - The Dawgs had this past weekend off to soak in the Clemson win just a bit longer than normal and rest up for the grind of the SEC slate that awaits. The only negative that came out of it for UGA is that Oregon QB Marcus Mariotta may have pulled even with Todd Gurley in the eyes of Heisman voters. Ok, ok, that's a ways off still, just sayin...Up next for UGA is the always tough, always passionate rivalry game with South Carolina. This time around it is in Columbia, and with the Gamecocks in need of a huge win, this will be a tough test.
7. UCLA (2-0) - While messin' around and letting lowly Memphis nearly steal a win, I dropped UCLA a spot in my Top 25 this week. I still believe this is a good team, and probably Top 10 worthy, but playing mediocre football like this against a better team will see you get beat very fast. The Bruins are still unbeaten and alive for this and that, but this was a stress-fest I'm sure for their fans and players and coaches alike - and rightfully so.
8. LSU (2-0) - Another props on defense in the SEC West goes out to LSU, who put a goose-egg on Sam Houston, 56-0. Coach Les Miles had to get onto running back superstar freshman Leonard Fournette for striking a Heisman pose after an early touchdown. Good for Miles. Up next for LSU are three home dates - two cupcakes sandwiched around Mississippi State. The Tigers should be nearing the top 5 in the major polls by mid-season when the schedule gets more difficult.
9. Texas A&M (2-0) - After surrendering an early FG, Texas A&M scored 66-straight points on Lamar on the way to a 73-3 final score. Like I always say, there isn't much to say here except that TAMU is the superior team and they played hard. The Aggies are in a division with five teams in the top 15 nationally. They will have to fight their way into the CFP, but if they do in fact get there, they very well may take home that sleek new trophy. Up next is Rice.
10. Baylor (2-0) - Don't look now, but the Longhorns of UT have clearly become the 3rd team in Texas in the eyes of the college football world. Baylor and Texas A&M have become the hotter tickets in the Lonestar State with two recent Heisman winners and long-time stays in the national polls. The Bears are once again solid under Art Briles and are looking to take home the Big 12 title and a berth in the CFP. Up next for Baylor are two winnable games before facing the burnt orange in Austin on October 4th.
11. USC (2-0)
12. Arizona State (2-0)
13. Kansas State (2-0)
14. Notre Dame (2-0)
15. Virginia Tech (2-0)
16. Ole Miss (2-0)
17. Penn State (2-0)
18. Louisville (2-0)
19. Stanford (1-1)
20. Michigan State (1-1)
21. Ohio State (1-1)
22. Utah (2-0)
23. Nebraska (2-0)
24. Pittsburgh (2-0)
25. North Carolina (2-0)
Just missed: BYU, Clemson, South Carolina, Wisconsin
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Alabama celebrates college football national championship
- Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold among record number of underclassmen in NFL draft
- Auburn president says more than half of Malzahn's new contract is guaranteed
- Texas athletics department's operating revenue and expenses both over $200 million
- Increased health benefits, schedule changes among proposals approved at NCAA convention