The Top Fan's Top 25 - Week Seven
|Share on Twitter|
The Magnolia State is going bonkers after Ole Miss and Mississippi State moved to 6-0 each with wins over Texas A&M and Auburn, respectively. The two schools are among just five unbeaten teams at the top of the polls as this season is setting up for a wild and crazy finish. Trying to decide the four best teams to make the inaugural College Football Playoff is going to be one heck of a task! Here are my Top 25 teams following the games of week seven....
1. Florida State (6-0) - The Seminoles march on with a 38-20 win over Syracuse in the Carrier Dome that wasn't as close as the score says. FSU went up 31-6 early and then cruised. This defense of the national title has probably been one of the least enjoyable in the sport's history due to a lack of a big, convincing win and the antics of Jameis Winston. However, if Florida State can get a win over Notre Dame this weekend, their playoff hopes will be all but cemented.
2. Mississippi (6-0) - I wrongly predicted that Ole Miss would see their dream run come to an end at the hands of Texas A&M on the road. The Rebels went into College Station and did work on a good Aggie team, winning by 15 points. This team could make the playoff when it is all said and done - something I never thought I would write. As of now, it looks like Mississippi's biggest threat is just a short drive away in Starkville.
3. Mississippi State (6-0) - Dan Mullen has his team in uncharted waters following a huge home win over Auburn last night, 38-23. The Bulldogs look tough, folks, led by QB Dax Prescott, who apparently is "the truth" according to his fans. As we look down the home stretch, MSU has two killer tests on the regular season slate: at Alabama and at Ole Miss. Despite all that has been accomplished, even a division crown is s till a tall order.
4. Baylor (6-0) - A score of 61-58 makes you wonder if these two teams have offenses to die for or defensive coordinators that need to be strung up. Yes, TCU and Baylor combined for 119 points and 1,267 yards in a shootout at fancy new Baylor Stadium. There were also 227 yards in penalties and four turnovers between the two teams. All in all, this was not your typical college football game, but it was surely exciting to watch, none-the-less. Baylor is eyeing the playoff, but the back end of their schedule is tough.
5. Notre Dame (6-0) - Irish fans are having flashbacks to 1993 when their unbeaten squad defeated Bobby Bowden and his unbeaten Seminoles in South Bend in a #1 vs #2 game for the ages that came down to the final play. This time around, the game will be in Tallahassee, and it looks to be a #4 (or maybe #5) against #1. Still a huge game, and we will know a lot more about both teams after they play. I am impressed with ND for sure, and a road win here could possibly lock up a CFP bid as I see only a couple other real threats on the schedule.
6. Oregon (5-1) - After a big road win over UCLA, the Ducks are right back in the thick of things. Four teams make the playoffs, and you have to think if Oregon wins out - including the Pac-12 Title Game - then they would have a very good chance at getting in. The Ducks went up 31-10 after the third quarter and then cruised. As I look down the remaining schedule, Stanford at home and Utah away seem to be the biggest hurdles.
7. Michigan State (5-1) - This team lost right away to Oregon on the road, but they have slowly and quietly crept back up the polls since that loss. Now, as we head deep into the season, MSU looks to make it another huge season. Michigan and Ohio State are at home coming up soon, and a Big-12 CCG appearance seems probable down the road. The Big-10 has not gotten the best press this season, so Sparty needs to carry the flag and make the CFP.
8. Kansas State (4-1) - Since blowing chance after chance to get a win over Auburn back in week three, the Wildcats have steamrolled UTEP and Texas Tech. I am not 100% sure this is a top ten team, but by process of elimination they keep creeping forward. They have some tests ahead (Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor) so we will know soon enough if they are any good. I like Coach Snyder, so I am basing some of this ranking on that.
9. Oklahoma (5-1) - Sooner fans had a stress fest as their team went up 31-13 on Texas but had to hang on for a 31-26 win. OU had some big plays outside of the offense as a kickoff return and a pick six changed the momentum of the game. The Oklahoma offense struggled in this one, but put up some points later in the game. OU quarterback Trevor Knight went 12 of 20 for 129 yards with a TD while Texas QB Tyrone Swoops went for 334 yards and two TDS and one INT. Up next for the Sooners is Kansas State.
10. Georgia (5-1) - I hate to base a team off of one player, and so I am not punishing UGA too bad for the loss of Todd Gurley. But I am dropping them a spot or two simply because Gurley is an impact player - we all know it - and now he is out. The Dawgs still have some killer running backs, so they are in my top 10. The playoffs are not out of the question, but they will need to play some good football as Kentucky (yes, 5-1 Kentucky....away), Auburn and Georgia Tech, as well as the SEC Championship Game are still ahead.
11. Auburn (5-1)
12. Alabama (5-1)
13. Ohio State (4-1)
14. Oklahoma State (5-1)
15. TCU (4-1)
16. East Carolina (5-1)
17. Arizona State (4-1)
18. Nebraska (5-1)
19. Duke (5-1)
20. Washington (5-1)
21. Clemson (4-2)
22. UCLA (4-2)
23. Arizona (5-1)
24. USC (4-2)
25. Utah (4-1)
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Some Thoughts Heading Into the New Year
- URGENT Note About Pick-em
- Who Goes Down? Part I
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 9)
- Mid-Season Look
- Pickem Updated
- (UPSET 8)
- Welp, Clemson lost
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 7)
- Note About Pick-Em
- My Heisman Ballot
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 6)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 5)
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 4)
- 2017 CFB Predictions: ACC
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 3)
- 10 Things - Week 2
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 2)
- 10 Things - week 1
- Upset Pick Contest (Week 1)
- Pro Wrestling Anyone?
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Pac-12
- Most Hated Player
- Your Playoff 4
- Favorite Player
- 2017 CFB Predictions: Big 12
- 2017 CFB Predictions: The Playoffs
- 2017 CFB Predictions: SEC
- CFB Playoff Predictions: Big Ten
- UPDATE: Pickem is ready to go!
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Ole Miss publishes its written appeal to the NCAA, still awaits COI response
- Kevin Cosgrove named New Mexico acting coach during Bob Davie's suspension
- John Engler praises Mark Dantonio as 'honorable' as contract extended
- Ohio State raises pay for college football assistants to more than $7 million
- Michigan football reportedly expected to hire Jim McElwain