Heisman Vote thread posted December 12, 2016 at 7:47 PM
Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Just like last year, I'm planning to post my Heisman vote each week, and I'd invite anyone who wants to participate to join. Keep in mind, that this means I'm posting who would be my top three right now, based on what I've seen.

1. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia. In his first game after a knee injury, Chubb had 222 yards on 32 carries with 2 TDs, one of them from 55 yards out. Sure, the UNC defense hasn't been known to be the best in the land, but that's one hell of a return.

2. Deondre Francois, QB, Florida State. The redshirt freshman may have staked his claim on the FSU starting role for good with a 400-yard passing performance that included a pair of TD passes and no INTs. Throw in 59 rushing yards and the guts to mount a big comeback against a tough defense, and he gets my early vote.

3. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford. How's 166 total yards on 29 touches with two scores against a Power 5 opponent to open the season? That's what McCaffrey did.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

It's always fun to talk Heisman, so I join in.

1. Christian McCaffery- He is one of the most dynamic players in the country. He does it all.

2. Nick Chubb- I don't like to jump on the bandwagon this early, but Chubb was a serious contender until his injury last season and he looks healthy right now. With inferior talent or inexperience at the QB position, Chubb will be relied on to carry the offense behind a good OLine, but will they win enough to keep him relevant?

3. JT Barrett- He had a remarkable showing against a decent MAC team. He showed his ability to throw the ball downfield which will propel that OSU offense to new levels.

I'm also going to throw in a couple bonus guys that I feel can't be left out.

Deshaun Watson- Best QB in College Football on a very talented team. Had a bit of a rough week 1, but he'll be back

Greg Ward Jr.- He is undersized, so the biggest question is health, but Wow! what a remarkable player.

Baker Mayfield- The loss to Houston hurt, but he will right the ship and come back strong.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

DeShaun Watson had a very similar game to his first road game last year. He and the coaches just didn't seem to be making decisions that reflected how close the game actually was, and that led to a lackluster performance, based on Deshaun Watson standards.

Auburn defensive front also didn't give him any room/time to work.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Update after Week 2:

1. Christian McCaffery- Still probably the most dynamic player in the country. Not playing this week could hurt overall stats though.

2. JT Barrett- He just keeps putting up huge numbers. He has a big test this week in Oklahoma, so we'll see where he moves to next week.

3. Lawrence Jackson- Can he and the Cardinals keep winning? If so, he will be one of the biggest names in college football.

Deshaun Watson is still in the mix and I'm not riding off Chubb completely yet, but last week raises some concerns about whether they will be able to feature him and get him in space each and every week.

I would like to see him do it a couple more times, but Deondre Francois could make a name for himself and be a cover man for the Heisman if he keeps playing this well.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Thanks for refreshing my memory on this BigK3!

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. This one is going to be completely redefined this week, since his team plays FSU, but dude is balling through two games. The great thing is we get Jackson, Francois and Watson on the field together three times. 

2. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia. He wasn't fantastic against Nicholls, but he's still among the top 10 in the country in rushing. They flat need to get him the ball as much as possible to take pressure off a freshman quarterback.

3. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford. Trying not to punish him for not playing. This spot could've easily gone to Francois.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Here we go:

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. If Saturday was Louisville's big test, Jackson and the Cardinals aced it with flying colors. I'm not sure how he wouldn't be your No. 1 so far.

2. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford. Admittedly, at least one of his big plays Saturday seemed to be a complete busted coverage by SoCal, but this guy knows how to make plays.

3. JT Barrett, QB, Ohio State. His numbers weren't massive against Oklahoma, but Barrett will be in this conversation because he knows how to get the ball in the end zone in big games.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

I think I am with you this week ASJTimm.

1. Lamar Jackson, Louisville/QB- How can he not be the favorite?

2. Christian McCaffery, Stanford/HB- He is one of my favorite players to watch, such a rare combination of speed and power.

3. JT Barret, Ohio State/QB- He is an explosive player. Oklahoma did seem to 'rattle' him at time, (Using rattled cautiously, they scored 45 points!) but he still made plays and he will torch the weak defenses in the Big Ten for big numbers and find a way to score against the good ones like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.

I also like to add honorable mentions, so here they are:

Deshaun Watson, Clemson/QB- He and Clemson should figure it out and if they do and find a way to beat Louisville he could be the favorite again.

Jalen Hurts, Alabama/QB- Could a true Freshman really win the Heisman? He has the skills and the OC to find a way, but time will tell.

Davis Webb III, California/QB- Goff didn't get enough love last year, but Webb is the next in a long line of 'System' QB's that won't fair well in Heisman votes, but he has torched defenses so far this year.

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

IMHO right now your answer is

1. Lamar Jackson

2. The field

answers are subject to change 

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

That's definitely where I am HuskerChamp. Based on results to this point, Lamar Jackson is clear No. 1.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Week 4 in the books and for me, not much movement.

1. Lamar Jackson, QB/Louisville- Until he loses, gets hurt, or has 3-4 awful games in a row, I think the Heisman is his.

2. Christian McCaffery, HB/Stanford- He totaled over 150 total yards again and it was a slow day for him. It was a minor setback for him in the race, just because of what Jackson has done and what we have come accustomed to seeing from McCaffery.

3. JT Barrett, QB/Ohio State- If he can keep the Buckeyes unbeaten through the much improved Big10 this year he will be a serious contender as the offense goes through him.

As always, a couple sleeper picks:

Deshaun Watson, QB/Clemson- If he and the Tigers beat the Cardinals this week he could jump into the top three.

Joshua Dobbs, QB/Tennessee- As a Tennessee fan I don't want this to sound like a homer pick, but Dobbs had a career game against a stellar Florida Gators defense. If he continues that trend the next three weeks, he could be a front runner.

Jake Browning, QB/Washington- I'll be honest, Washington has slipped under my radar, but not many other people's and Browning has been one of the primary reasons the Huskies are unbeaten and ranked in the Top 10.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Yep.

1. Jackson

2. McCaffrey

3. Barrett. 

Another big week this week for Jackson and the whole Heisman race.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

This is going to be controversial in here I think ha ha

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. Yes, his team lost. But Lamar Jackson, especially in the second half, looked like the best player in the country even in that loss. 

2. JT Barrett, QB, Ohio State. The Buckeyes just keep winning, and Barrett just keeps scoring. If OSU runs the table, it will be hard to overlook him and his story.

3. Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson. In his team's biggest game, Watson was the stud they needed. He still isn't playing his best football, but the Tigers aren't undefeated without Watson.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Its hard for me to just have a top 3 right now because Louisville losing and other performances (for me) closed the gap.

1. Lamar Jackson QB/Louisville- His numbers through the first 4 games were ridiculous, so almost has to stay at the top.

2. JT Barrett QB/Ohio State- He is the leader of one of the most potent offenses in Collge Football right now. Personally though, I don't feel Ohio State has played much competition, so we'll see how he does against Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

3. Deshaun Watson QB/Clemson- He had a breakout game against a solid Louisville Defense and it looks as if Clemson may run the table again, which always fairs well in Heisman voting.

4. Jake Browning QB/Washington- After the drubbing of Stanford I had to include him in the Top. If he and the Huskies continue winning he has a serious shot at winning a Heisman for the Huskies.

5. Christian McCaffery HB/Stanford- Sluggish game for the Cardinal Star in a big time matchup so he lost a lot of steam in Heisman eyes, but if he and Stanford can right the ship he will still be a top candidate.

A couple dark horses again this week:

Joshua Dobbs QB/Tennessee- Another miraculous win for the Vols and Dobbs led the charge again. Tennessee has not scored an offensive Touchdown the last two games that Dobbs was not half a part of. Meaning no rushing TDs by RB. The only one that wasn't Dobbs induced was the sack fumble in the endzone against UGA.

Davis Webb QB/Cal- I mentioned him a few weeks ago, but another Pac12 Win has him back in the talks for me. If he and the bears find a way to beat Stanford and/or Washington, he could become a serious candidate by year end.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Yeah certainly feel free to rank more. I just stick with three because that's how the actual Heisman ballot is.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Did they decrease the Heisman recently?   It seems like they used to have 4-5 guys in New York each year. I thought  it had just been a 3 horse race for a few years now.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Well the ballot is just three guys. They'll invite more if there are more guys who get serious consideration.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Okay, that makes sense. 

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

JT Barrett QB/Ohio State- He just continues to put up big numbers. The Heisman committee always seems to like Ohio State players, so if he keeps OSU undefeated it will be hard to beat him.

Lamar Jackson QB/Louisville- His impressive start is still driving him forward, but if the Cardinals stumble at all the rest of the year he may be down and out.

Deshaun Watson QB/Clemson- As long as Clemson stays atop the ACC and Watson continues his success he will be in NY.

Jake Browning QB/Washington- The high flying Huskies have as much confidence as anyone right now and Browning is the general behind the train.

Dark Horses for this Week:

Joshua Dobbs QB/Tennessee- He still hasn't cracked into contention, mostly this week because of the loss, but if he can lead the Vols to victory of the Tide this weekend with numbers close to what he's been putting up, he may be in the mix next week.

Myles Gaskin HB/Washington- Browning is getting most of the glory for Washigton, but Gaskins has been more than good enough to keep some of the pressure off of Browning's shoulders.

Trayveon Williams HB/Texas A&M- A HB from A&M??? Sounds crazy right, but his ability to bound the ball inside and make big plays has led the Aggies to their first 6-0 start since ???.  He is averaging somewhere around 7-8 YPC, that cant be overlooked.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

I've got to disagree this time, BigK3. Barrett lost a step for me on Saturday.

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. The Cardinals were off, and I try not to penalize anyone for an off day.

2. Deshaun Watson,  QB, Clemson. Watson and the Tigers had their best game of the year on short rest after their biggest test to this point. That takes special stuff, and perhaps the preseason favorite is hitting his stride.

3. Jake Browning, QB, Washington. All Browning did on Saturday was account for 8 scores in a thrashing of Oregon. No big deal. In all seriousness, the Huskies are the kind of story that the Heisman voters will love if he can keep this up.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

No Worries ASJTimm, Thats what these discussion boards are for. 

I didn't even think about Louisville not playing. Jackson losing ground on an off week probably isn't right, but I felt like Barrett has been gaining ground the past couple of weeks and the Buckeyes being undefeated, to me, gives him the edge. Browning and Watson will catch Barrett quickly if they keep playing like they have though.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

I'm sticking with what I had. 

1. Jackson

2. Watson

3. Barrett

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

Barrett lost ground for me

1. Jackson

2. Watson

3. Browning

4. Barrett

Dark Horses:

1. Jalen Hurts

2. Seth Russell

3. Trayveon McMillan

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. Not only is Jackson looking back at top form, but his Cardinals seemed poised to find a way into the playoffs should Washington, Michigan, Bama or even Clemson slip up. 

2. Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson. Point blank, Watson has to have that Heisman game against FSU to stay in the picture. If he's anything less than stellar Saturday, he could fade out entirely.

3. Jake Browning, QB, Washington. The Huskies seem to be at least close to the real deal, and Browning is racking up the yards and TDs.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

I agree again. Just a little order shakeup.

1. Lamar Jackson- He has been spectacular all year.

2. Jake Browning- He and the Huskies have been more 'Flashy' than Watson, so he gets the nod over Deshaun this week.

3. Deshaun Watson- I think he has a shot even with a slow performance this week, but his hype would drop drastically. A Big "Heisman Type" game this week could catapult Watson up a spot or two.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Full disclosure: I feel bad putting three ACC guys in my ballot. That said, These are the players that stood out.

1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. A little fun for you: Lamar Jackson is 13th in passing yards in the country and tied for 10th in TDs. But he's also 7th nationally in rushing yards and leads the nation in rushing TDs.

2. Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson. If Deshaun could limit the mistakes, he may have overtaken Jackson by now. That said, he always does just enough to stay in the top 3, and being on one of the few remaining unbeaten teams helps.

3. Dalvin Cook, RB, FSU. Clemson's defense is a good one that has been decent against the run. Dalvin Cook made them look silly with several second-half runs that caught my eye even in a loss.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

FYI, I'll be keeping an eye on Jabrill Peppers down the road. He has an interesting resume, and I could easily sub him for Cook.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

I think I have to keep my top three where they were. 

1. Lamar Jackson QB/Louisville- He and the offense seem to be back on track after a "tough" couple of weeks following the Clemson game.

2. Jake Browning QB/Washington- I am really impressed with this guys abilities and he has led the Huskies to the National forefront.

3. Deshaun Watson QB/Clemson- He had the biggest game of any candidate and is on the verge of taking the top spot from Jackson, but for now, he stays put at third.

This late in the season I don't want to call them dark horses, but a few extras that could make a late charge.

Dalvin Cook HB/Florida State- He ran over, through, and around Clemson's tough defense last week. His only setback, 3 FSU losses

Jabrill Peppers DB/Michigan- An explosive all around athlete that continues to make huge plays for the Wolverines in all three phases of the game. Can a defensive player really win with the offensive talent being showcased this year though?

Jalen Hurts QB/Alabama- Somehow he is under the radar for a lot of people. I watched him first hand almost solely torch a beat up Tennessee Defense and I was super impressed. He can run and has a big arm. Seems like this year the Alabama offense goes as Jalen Hurts goes.

Discussion Person

dcomitch

Charleston, SC

Fanatic

Lamar Jackson is a stud, and it would be hard for me to argue that he is deserving of the heisman if voting were today.  But, I find it pretty wild what an afterthought Watson has become in the "who's the best qb in america" conversation.  I find it hilarious that "Lamar is just definitely the best qb in the country."

It's really funny to me.  I mean look at the numbers when they faced each other.  Watson threw for 11 more yards (306 to 295) on 13 fewer attempts.  Watson threw 5 TD passes to Jackson's 1.  Watson did have three INTs to Jackson's 1.  Jackson had 162 yards rushing and Watson had 91.  But..... Watson had 17 less carries than Jackson.  17.....

For the year Jackson has thrown for 2,552 yards on 271 attempts (58%).  Watson has thrown for 2,328 yards on 301 attempts (63.5%).  Lamar had some passes dropped last week against UVA, but Watson has had far more (16 in the first three games).  22 TD passes so far for Lamar, and 22 TD passes so far for Watson.  Watson has too many INTs (10), Lamar has 5.  That is a number that has been one of the issues.

Biggest reason for the difference is with the rushing TDs, though.  Watson has only 1 so far this year and Jackson has 16.  Big difference.  Watson has run far less this year (especially inside the 5, where he ran it a ton last year).  That said, Jacksopn has his 996 yards rushing (big number) on 147 carries.  Watson has 331 yards on 88 carries.  Huge difference there.

Again, gun to the head, I'd proabbaly say that based on how the heisman gets voted for....I'd give the nod to Jackson at this point.  However, there's no better winner than Watson at Qb in america right now.  We're 8-0 and all he does is win.  I'm biased, but he's better.  He's been "off" this year and his numbers are still close to Jackson's, despite that.

I just think he needs to be in the discussion more.  That said, as we keep winning..... he will be.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Agreed that Watson is who I'd rather have as my QB.

That said, the bigger issue with his interceptions is that several of them have contributed to those "too close for comfort" games, with the FSU game being a prime example. Same with Louisville. He and the rest of the offense have been a little careless with the football, and that's the main reason he isn't leading the Heisman race right now.

Discussion Person

dcomitch

Charleston, SC

Fanatic

ASJTimm - I'm 100% in agreement with you on that.  Your final sentence there is the main reason why Clemson is 8-0 with a bunch of nail-biters instead of 8-0 with 2 or 3 of those having been blow outs.

Clemson better get that corrected asap.

Discussion Person

danceswithbeers2010

Charleston, SC

Fanatic

Jackson is a far superior athlete, and it's not close.  That's what people are looking at, right or wrong.  You can't even look at stats on what he does.  It's an eyeball test.  Id rather have Watson for a qb on my team.  He's a freak qb, but Jackson is a freak athlete.  I guess it depends on your view on what the heisman should really be about.  I'd agree with Watson if it's for the best player but would agree with Jackson if it's for the best athlete.  

Also, stats during the head to head are meaningless.  Jackson faced a better defense.  Can't compare stats that way.

Id give the heisman to Watson myself because I think it's about the best player.  He's a winner and that's what it's all about in my book.  Just pointing out what people are looking at.

Discussion Person

danceswithbeers2010

Charleston, SC

Fanatic

With a little work, Jackson could be one of the best receivers in the country.  Watson couldn't .  That's the difference.  Again, id vote Watson for the heisman.  

Take someone like tebow.  He wasn't in the top 100 athletes in the country when he won, but he was a winner, and that's why he won.  It's basically the same with team rankings.  Some people vote based on the best team and some people vote based on who deserves it more.

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

At this point in the season, I'm not sure there is really much of an argument on who the Heisman winner is. Lamar Jackson is and has been the best player in college football this season, Hand Down!

1. Lamar Jackson QB/Louisville- Like I said, his numbers don't lie. I'd almost bet he has more touchdowns alone than some FBS teams.

2. Jake Browning QB/Wasington- He has really surged here lately as the Huskies have become more media prominent, but he and Watson are close.

3 Deshaun Watson QB/Clemson- The Tigers are unbeaten and Watson is a huge reason for that, but he just hasnt had the dominate season statistically to hang with Browning and Jackson, IMO.

I agree with you guys that Jackson is not the best QB in college football, that would probably go to Jake Browning and not Watson because a lot of what Watson does also has to do with his ability to run. He is still a lot better passer and QB than Jackson, but the Heisman is not the best player that fits their position, it is for the BEST player in the country. That is Lamar Jackson regardless of whether or not he should be a WR.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Yep.

1. Jackson

2. Browning

3. Watson

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

This has been a weird Heisman race

1. Jackson

2. Barrett

3. Watson

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

1. Jackson

2. Watson

3. Baker Mayfield

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

This race is tough, but not for the best reasons. Mainly, most of the candidates have been at least part of the reason their teams have struggled/lost when they've struggled/lost. For example, Deshaun Watson had some really costly interceptions in his team's loss to Pitt.

That said, here's what I've got.

1. Watson

2. Jackson

3. Mayfield

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Watson will def be in NYC...I like that. 

If if he balls against VT it could be his...

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Dances!!

holy s**t!! Didn't see you post above. Hope you're doing good my friend...

Discussion Person

BigK3

Rome, GA

Fanatic

I think it could be a four/five headed race this year. With Jackson struggling down the stretch he has opened up the conversation considerably.

1. Deshaun Watson- Only reason Watson has the edge right now if because he gets an extra game before the voting.

2. Lamar Jackson- He has been the best player in football all year, but the recent losses are really hard to overcome.

3. Baker Mayfield- Hasn't struggled much all year from what ive seen. Just not as big of numbers as last year

4. Jake Browning- He still has a chance if they beat CU and he plays well

5. Jalen Hurts- He is the general of the best team in college football. Big game against UF and he may steal the Heisman.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Every time I'm ready to put Hurts in there, he has a game that's good but not great. That may be the story of this year's Heisman, though. Good but not great.

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

It is a shame Deshaun had that stretch where he threw so many INTs...Otherwise, I think he has a good shot at it....

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

These are the finalists for the 2016 Heisman Trophy:

* Lamar Jackson (QB, Louisville)
* Jabrill Peppers (LB, Michigan)
* Deshaun Watson (QB, Clemson)
* Baker Mayfield (QB, Oklahoma)
* Dede Westbrook (WR, Oklahoma)

I personally like Jabrill Peppers, but I think Lamar Jackson will probably win.

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

My personal Top 3:

1. Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

2. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

3. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Honestly, though, this class has not blown me away.

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

It was Lamar Jackson who won the 2016 Heisman Trophy.  I think my pick, Jabrill Peppers, finished dead last in the Heisman voting.  So all congratulations to Lamar Jackson on winning the Heisman.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click click here to login or here to create an account.