The Nebraska Thread posted January 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM
Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

So, I made my pessimism sound before the season began. But a few notes before I start...

This is the first year I am away from the great state of Nebraska. I am watching from the desert this year, and so far I've gotten a different view. I watched the game in a bar with a friend of mine from Nebraska, and I must say, they aren't as serious about college football here in Phoenix. They're fans, but my friend and I got some funny looks while watching the game. Only reaffirms my beliefs about football being region in Nebraska, especially compared to other states. 

Now the next thing I have to say, all of the tributes to Sam Foltz got me choked up. Loved how we handled that situation

Now for the team. The offense looked good against a less than stellar Fresno defense. I hope that Ozigbo becomes the work horse as I am no fan of Newby. Loved how we stayed on the ground even though our strongest position is our receiving core. But the running game is a big deal here in the Husker State. Helu, Burkehead, and Abdullah, who's next? 

I was not impressed with our defense however. I blame Mr Banker for this, but we got ZERO pressure on the QB. We only ever got pressure when we blitzed Kalu, or someone. So Mr. Banker, get creative with your blitz packages, I beg you. The defense has so many new faces I just don't expect much

I still maintain a pessimistic view on the season. I think we once again sit around 500 and look forward to next year, where we should make some waves

Discussion Person

tigerpaul01

Raleigh, NC

Fanatic

I know how you feel HuskerChamp1. A few years ago I moved only one state away (from SC to NC) and at times I feel like I'm a million miles away from real college football fans. I now live right in the heart of Tobacco Road, so as soon as the first pre-season basketball articles start to appear, football is put on the way, way, way back burner. UNC's recent football success has brought a few folks out of the woodwork, and there apperently will always be some NC State die hards, but for the most part I am solidly in the middle of basketball country.

As for your Huskers, I haven't been able to watch any of your games yet, but it is Nebraska football. If you're down, you won't be down for long. I like Mike Riley a lot. I think your .500 prediction is selling the Huskers short. I bet you'll get to at least 7 wins and get ready to make some serious noise next year. It's hard to leave "home" but enjoy your time in the desert. Phoenix, from what little time I've spent there, seems like a cool town with a lot going on. The good news with today's technology is that I'm sure you won't have to miss many games. It seems like everything is televized these days.

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Oregon at Nebraska - what a game! Gonna be ready to watch that one!

HuskerChamp and TP01 - you're both correct. Football IS religion.

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

I actually feel really good about this weeks game against Oregon. Currently, I am expecting to lose to Ohio St, probably a close loss to Wisconsin, and I am slightly worried about Illinois and Iowa. Even if we lose all of those game it would still be an 8-4 season, which is at least a step in the right direction from last year. I would be rather shocked to see us lose to Northwestern, Indiana, Maryland, or Purdue... and Illinois for that matter even though I am slightly worried about it (just not sure what all to expect in that game). 

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

I would definitely like to see more out of both O and D lines though.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Slightly worried about Iowa,  lol Nebraska fans never fail to amaze me with their delusions of grandeur

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

Well maybe you can please explain to me why I should be more worried about Iowa. Iowa has looked good, but not great this year. And I would hesitate to say that many power five teams have actually looked bad... you know being as how we are only through week 2 and most teams haven't played anyone worth noting (Nebraska and Iowa included). I would hesitate to say that they look any bit better than last year to be honest. With that said, we (Nebraska) dominated last years game with the exception of only two statistical categories.... those being turnovers and scoreboard. Arguably the two most important, definitely the last one. Not to mention that the road team as won the last 3 times... guess who is on the road. Furthermore you comment wreaks with condescension (not that it bothers me), but I love how Ferentz produces one decent team every other 4 or 5 years and Iowa fans just seem to forget that they were 7-6 in 2014, let alone a 4-8 record in 2012. But what does Iowa do? Give Ferentz an extention. Iowa hasn't had a 10 win season since 2009, with one losing season since then. Nebraska has had 3 ten win seasons and one losing in the same time frame, while simultaneously boasting better records both in the non-10 win season category as well as the losing record category within that time frame. 

So... why at this point in the season while accounting for recent historical context should I be any more than slightly worried? 

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

And just for the record and clarification of my comment. I am not worried about the teams we play because of what I have seen from them, but rather what I haven't seen from our team. 

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

realized I typed this sentence incorrectly, but since last year, Iowa hasn't had a 10 win season since 2009. Clarified to avoid any confusion.

Discussion Person

Samurai328

Eugene, OR

Fanatic

Ducks better take care of business. And i believe that they will.

Discussion Person

Huskerfaithful

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Class act by the ducks HC and punter laying flowers at the huskers 27 yd to honor Sam foltz....

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

Hey Herky ND state says hi 😂

Discussion Person

Huskerfaithful

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Lol....wow....

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

The Ducks say high

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

It is official, I'm buying in. Let the optimism flow through my veins 

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

You are correct, they did come to say high but also went home with that L.

GBR!

Discussion Person

Huskerfaithful

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Now that my heart rate has come down...and the beer is flowing....that was a great game...just as advertised 

Discussion Person

detroit girl

holland, MI

Fanatic

Huskers are looking good at the start of the season Skull. I was at MSU first game against Furman, that was highly unimpressive. Boy did they start to look like my mom of team against ND. My coach kills us with conservative plays. Sometimes I would like to slap the the mess out of him.  

Discussion Person

detroit girl

holland, MI

Fanatic

Lol not mom. Apparently I meant my old team. Dang auto correct. 

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Welcome back, Throw-Them-Bones!

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Huskers checking in at #20 in the latest AP poll....

Discussion Person

Huskerfaithful

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Wow....CBS sports has us at 13....that's really ummm...optimistic 

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

There is no reason for us not to be 7-0 going into the Wisconsin game, absolutely no reason. No excuses for not going at least 7-0

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

No major updates. 6-0 for the first time since 2001. Purdue this week with an interim head man. Then Wisconsin. 

Hoping to get Cethan Carter and Westerkamp back by the Wisconsin game. Get healthy then onto the biggest game of the year.

If we win Wisconsin, I am confident that we will win our division and head to Indy

Stay the course 

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

Yep, not too worried about Purdue even with Hazells firing making things a little more unpredictable. We desperately need Carter and Westercamp back next week, not to mention all the linemen as well. We need a two week bye week after Purdue just to get fully prepared. At least that is how I feel. Given how Wisconsin has played this year, I don't want to see a regression into what Pelini gave us against Wisconsin and I think Wisconsin is legit enough to do it. 

A Michigan fan I know said that Nebraska and Michigan are going to go undefeated and face off in the Big Ten title game where Michigan will win by 3 lol. he then said that Nebraska and Michigan will both make the playoff, Nebraska beating Clemson and Michigan beating Bama, to rematch. LOL i thought it was funny, but he was actually serious. I checked. 

If we beat Wisconsin, the only possible loss I see on the schedule is Ohio State which could set up a rematch in the title. With all of this said, I don't know about you guys, but I do not think we have played like a top ten team. Sure we are undefeated and in the end that is what matters most, but everyone being skeptical is completely fair in my opinion. However, I think gamedays reaction last week when Pollack asked if anyone really thought Nebraska was legit was very flippant. All in all, I am content with the season so far. Of course I wish we have played better and looked like a team that should be taken seriously, but this is a clear improvement from last year and while it is slow moving, it does look in the right direction. Just need to manage the injuries and be ready so that we do not lose unnecessarily.

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

As much as it makes me sick to my stomach, we need to root for Iowa to knock off Wisconsin this weekend.undecided

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Trust me, I am extremely skeptical of us. I was on cloud nine when we squeaked out a win against Oregon, but lately Oregon has made me think that I should not have been. I do not think that we are a top 10 team talent wise, but right now we are undoubtedly top 10 confidence wise. And that's my current hope against Wisconsin. If I were a betting man, and I am, I would likely not wager on Nebraska-Wisconsin. Why? Because I still don't know who Nebraska really is. 

And that question to me all hinges on Tommy Armstrong. Who is he? Is he the turnover prone gunslinger that we've seen in the past, or is he a very serviceable QB. I still dont know. 

I'm both excited and scared for Wisconsin. This tape seems all too familiar to what we're used to. Meeting Wisconsin right when things are starting to look up, only to get smacked by them. Hopefully Riley stays the course and pulls out a W, but I remain skeptical

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

What's your reasoning for that TTB? Just because Wisconsins losses are conference losses?

The way I look at it is Wisconsin is seen as legit, whereas Iowa lost to NDSU (who just lost btw to SDSU) and went to the wire with some of the worst conference teams like Rutgers. Granted a Wisconsin loss would likely still have them ranked and it would provide for the best case to rank Iowa at that point, but I am not worried about that at all. If we actually do somehow continue to win, schedule matters less and less. I only say that because we have Wisconsin and Ohio St with possibilities of Minnesota or Iowa being ranked towards the end as well as a conference championship game that sets up either a rematch against Ohio St or a game with Michigan. 

So that way I see it, it doesn't matter who wins what so long as Ohio St and Michigan keep winning. Goes without saying, but Nebraska needs to keep winning obviously as well. But we control our own destiny, so it is ultimately in our hands. There is no way the playoff committee is going to keep the Big Ten champ out of the playoff unless the wheels fall off... meaning the 3 remaining undefeateds (Nebraska, Michigan, and Ohio St) start losing.

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

Call me a homer, but after watching the games today....  IF we can keep the games close until the 4th Q. Huskers can beat both Wisky and Ohio St... GBR!!!

Discussion Person

gatormike

orlando, FL

Fanatic

Can they beat Michigan though.......

Discussion Person

Huskerfaithful

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Well hell....some bad news out of the Badgers camp....Cichy thier starting LB and Sagapolu the starting nose tackle will be out for the game this week....Both are very good and Cichy is the teams TFL and total tackles team leader and Safapolu is a run stuffer...

Never look a gift horse in the mouth...

GBR!!

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

I said no excuse not to be 7-0 going into the Wisconsin game, and look at where we are. 

We need to win at least one of the next two games. And if we do? The Big 10 Championship becomes a play in game for the CFB Playoff. Think about that for a second. Either Michigan or Ohio State vs Nebraska for a chance at the National Championship. It's legitimately what will happen if we win at least one of the next two. Thats insane to me. I thought this team would struggle to win 8 and I'm sitting here right now telling you that we are National Championship contenders. Didn't think I would be sitting here typing those words, but damn I am happy to.

Now to dive into the Wisconsin game. I am cautiously pessimistic. This is mainly due to the fact that I am still not 100% sure who this Nebraska team is. Due to the Wisconsin front 7 missing two vital pieces, we need to dominate the line of scrimmage to win this game. We have to be able to establish the run and win the battle in the trenches. I want to put this game on our offensive lines shoulders and get them to win us this game. I want a dink and dunk, boring passing game on the shoulders of a potent running attack. Wear them down and set up for the play action. Thats how I would want to win this game

Defensively, I cant say I know much about Wisconsin's offense. But from what I have read and seen, they shouldn't blow me away. So what we need to do, is limit the big play. That's ultimately been the achilles heel of our defense, especially last week is the big play. Limit that, keep the defense off the field.

Win this game so that I can relax against Ohio State. Like I said that I am cautiously pessimistic. Im not confident that we will win, but if we can keep it close going into the 4th, we will win. 

Finally GO BIG RED

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Now I do what to identify that Iowa at the end of the season is still a trap game, but I am focusing on the task closest to us at the moment

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

We definitely need to control the clock/time of possession. Meaning 3 and outs are HUGE no no's. Need to sustain long drives that tire out the defense and end with points to break em mentally. Tommy has played well, but he needs to step it up another level to contend on the road against this team and fan base. It will be nice to have Westerkamp back, but I would much rather have Carter back. DPE needs to come out energetic, I think Riley should place him on kick returns as well as punt returns. This is definitely the tough end of the schedule for us now...

Wisconsin 5-2

Ohio State 6-1

Minnesota 5-2

Maryland 5-2

Iowa 5-3

Moment of truth.

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

I do want to say, I don't know about you guys, but Wisconsin feels like the new Oklahoma. Like this is the team we will meet every year that is likely to decide the division and (now without Pelini) hopefully be good, close games. it is obviously too soon to call it a rivalry that would even share in the splendor that the NU/OU match up provided, all I am saying is that I definitely see the potential.

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

DOWN GOES NEBRASKA!  If you had Nebraska undefeated all the way, your wild dreams just became a nightmare, as the Cornhuskers lost 23-17 at Wisconsin.  Sixty minutes and four quarters wasn't enough, so this one had to be settled in Overtime.  Tough night for Cornhusker Nation...

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

Is what it is... Proud of my team. What a great game. We'll get the W next weekend. GBR!!!

Discussion Person

Throw-Them-BoNes

Las Vegas, NV

Is what it is... Proud of my team. What a great game. We'll get the W next weekend. GBR!!!

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

There's two calls that really bother me in this game. I felt like Dzuris was held on Wisconsin's second TD play and obviously Westerkamp non-DPI call was huge. 

Armstrong has to be better. It's that simple. He played an extremely poor game in the air.

I think we probably earned the nation's respect this game. We might not be a top 10 team, but I would imagine Top 15 is very reasonable. 

With the way Ohio State has been playing, maybe we've got a shot next week. We will definitely see 

Definitely dejected right now, but there's plenty of football left to be played this year 

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

I actually thought Michigan, Ohio State, and Nebraska were all going to win yesterday. The game that concerned me the most of the ones ESPN shown was Nebraska at Wisconsin. I wasn't as confident Nebraska would win that game. But let's face it- it is not easy playing at Wisconsin. Not in football, not in basketball (men or women), and maybe even in hockey also. Nebraska is anything but sorry. That's even if the 2016 Nebraska Cornhuskers were the 1995 Cornhuskers or the 1971 Cornhuskers.

Remaining schedule for Nebraska (no dates posted): at Ohio State, Minnesota, Maryland, and at Iowa.

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Well the Huskers we've known the past several years showed up. It's really just sad 

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

I said that after the first quarter. I looked to my bud and said, this looks and feels like a Pelini team.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

NEBRASKA IS TRASH

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

I hate to say this, but it ain't looking good for Cornhusker Nation in Iowa City right now.  With about 10:59 left in the 4th Quarter, 33-10 is the score as Iowa leads #17 Nebraska.  So I'm sure Fans25 folks like HerkyOnPot is enjoying the Hawkeyes ahead.

Discussion Person

John_M-01

Houston, TX

Fanatic

(CORRECTION/UPDATE) I'm sorry- Nebraska is #16 in the nation, not 17th.  Sad you can't update/edit posts.  So my apologies.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

I hope all you Nebraska fans are enjoying that crow you are eating tonight.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

I hope all you Nebraska fans are enjoying that crow you are eating tonight.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

You guys were quick to pile on Iowa when they lost a couple games.   Where are ya'll now that Iowa kicked Nebraskas ass?

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Wisconsin feels like oklahoma LOL some of the comments in this thread ARE HILLARIOUS!!!!!!

Discussion Person

CornHuskers

Papillion, NE

Fanatic

Relax 8-4, injuries will do that to ya. And you are one to talk huh, haven't shown your face around here until now. Probably because you were ashamed of your team, but then again 8-4 is one of the better Iowa seasons. Pretty sad that we are in the same division of the same conference, you beat us but we still end up with a better record, shouldn't drop games to FCS schools. Funny how you are more worried about Nebraska than you are about Iowa. Always stopping in to share your drivle, cause finding an Iowa fan is like finding Iowa championships... just doesn't happen. You can have your bragging rights this year, hopefully you won't choke in the bowl game again. 

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Excuses excuses Typical Nebraska response 

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

You wont find any Iowa fans on here because nobody cares about this website, real talk.   And because nobody wants to talk to you Cornsuckers.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Better record doesn't mean squat when you got owned.  Just admit it,  Iowa is better than Nebraska.  You can't do it because Nebraska fans all live in the past.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Yea it is sad that we are in the same division in the same conference.  Nebraska clearly doesn't belong in the BigTen with the big boys like Iowa, Ohio State and Wisconsin.  Nebraska just can't hang.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

When was the last time Nebraska had more than 10 wins in a season?  2001?  lol

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

Well Herky, congrats on the win. But don't get too big of a head here. Tommy came into the game injured, honestly he probably shouldn't have played at all but his back up was hurt too. Granted, our defense decided to not show up at all either though. Finishing the regular season losing 3 of 5 definitely is not how I wanted to finish, but look at that first post of the thread. I thought we would sit around 6-6, we finished 9-3... The Bo Pelini standard. We'll see, we still have the potential to hit 10 wins. Again, much better than I had expected. 

Next year we really should see the team make strides. With Tommy finally gone we should see the reigns handed to one of Tanner Lee, Patrick O'Brein, or Tristian Gebbia. From this, Riley has a pro style offense because he doesn't have a running QB anymore. I really look forward to seeing the team next year. I'm afraid if you think that Nebraska can't hang in the Big 10, you are in for a rude awakening, because this year was a rebuilding year. 

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Iowa wins 3 out of the last 4 over Nebraska (would  be 4 in a row if not for the blown 17 point lead in 2014)  and you guys still cant accept that Iowa is just the better team, even after that 30 point domination.    What will your excuses be next year when Iowa beats Nebraska again?  

I love the "Bo Pelini Standard" as if that is not the "Nebraska Standard"  The Huskers have not won more than 10 games in a season since 2001!  Get used to your mediocrity.

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

We didn't show up, plain and simple. I'm not taking away from Iowa at all, but we for sure did not bring our best shot. And even if we did bring our best shot we may not have won, but the difference between Nebraska and Iowa is not 30 points that is for sure. 

Five National Championships says different to the Nebraska Standard. If that was the Nebraska Standard, Bo Pelini would not have been fired. I have been very vocal about the state of Nebraska football before. I was three years old in 2001 when Nebraska last won more than 10 games. I didn't have to get used to mediocrity, I grew up with it. But at the very least, I also grew up knowing of the glory days of Nebraska football. Right now, the Iowa Standard and the Nebraska Standard are the exact same. Good but not great programs. The only difference is that Iowa is content with that. Ferentz would have been fired years ago at Nebraska. So I'm sorry Herky, the Nebraska Standard is much higher than the Iowa Standard 

Discussion Person

SkullandBones

Firth, NE

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Wow.  I've been away for over a couple of years.....and Herk's still a dick.  Who'd a thought?

Great thread Champ, very well done.

Top.  Shoot me an email, I've got a story you're going to love.

Discussion Person

HerkyOnPot

Iowa City, IA

Fanatic

Whats the matter SkullandBones?  I thought we were friends.....

Discussion Person

SkullandBones

Firth, NE

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Lol, that ones pretty good....and most of my friends are dicks.

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

You guys, I am in completely awe right now. Riley and co fired defensive coordinator Mark Banker along with several other staff members. Now, I completely support this, but Banker and Riley have a history going back 20 years. To say that Banker and Riley were best friends might be an understatement. One consistent thing with all of the firings though, each failed at recruiting. 

And on top of this, right now it appears the leading candidate is former Broyles winner Bob Diaco. Diaco is known for being certifiably crazy, but there's something about crazy and defensive coordinator that just fits together well. Diaco failed as head coach of UCONN but prior to that lead a Notre Dame defense that carried a team to a national championship. Talk about exciting a fan like me. Not only this, but he would make our defense switch to a 4-2-5 to a 3-4. A move that I believe would help us bunches. 

I am incredibly excited about this move, regardless of who we bring it. Accountablity is something that I really preach and want at all levels and that is exactly what we have here

Discussion Person

HuskerChamp1

Omaha, NE

Fanatic

And Diaco it is, extremely impressed with this hire. Very excited to see what Diaco brings to the table. Early rumblings say his paycheck should hit around $1.1 Million

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click click here to login or here to create an account.